Moving house

Fenton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Staffordshire, England
Right so on Wednesday me and the 3 12" stingrays are moving house. Along with their tank mates, a giant guarami, a 16"BGK, an ornate Bircher and a fire eel.

Ive vey got their temporary accommodation sorted which is a large water but which I'll have an air pump and a heater for. The heater will have a casing so the days don't get burned.

My my question is about water quality. How long should I not feed the rays for before they have to go into the water but? And how long will they be ok in there for I could do with them being in there the night before as then van will be here at 9am so that will meet getting up at 5am otherwise to catch everyone and empty the tank of water, decks, sand and then there's the sump to deal with.
The air stone being stuffed into a sponge that has been in the filter for months which is my make do media/filter (sort of like a sponge filter). They will be in about 60 gal of water while moving (only a 15 min trip in the van) but then I've got to re set up the tank which is having all the same lava rock in the sump, same stand and decorations etc so there shouldn't be much need for a cycle.

Now ow im paying for a removal company to move the tank and my belongings and they are aware the tank is last to go into the van and 1st out and in place. They are moving the rest of the stuff while I get the hose out.

Any help appreciated even if it's completely different to my original plan.

coflowerhornguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
denver co
I don't have a clue good luck on your move I will be doing the same thing next summer so I look forward to seeing what others have to say on this. I also moved last summer but I didn't have any monsters but my fish were in bag's for around 8 hours so if it takes less time than that to put your tank up I bet they would be fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Go to the Lfs and get some of the live bacteria to jump start the system. The air bubbles that collect on the side of the glass can collect inside the fish so aerate well.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I think it is a good protection, 30-40 mins with no flow and the bacteria start to die off.....it just gives a little insurance.

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
I try to keep media submerged in water with lots of air going through it. I use a rubber maid with a bunch of battery powered air pumps during transport of media.

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
I made a similar move a couple years ago. Morning of the move I got up early, netted my rays into tubs, filled a 45 gallon plastic garbage can (new) full of tank water and hooked my filters to it to keep them circulating. Then i pumped my tanks out into a new water cistern tank loaded on my trailer. Movers loaded my tanks last and unloaded them first. I left the rays and filters at the old house. When we got to the new house, While they were unloading the rest of my stuff, I set up the tanks and filled them back up from the cistern. Then I went back to the old house, got my filters and went to the new house and set them up. Then went back and got the rays. The whole time rays had an air stone and heater in each tub. Each ray had their own large tub. Finally got them settled in at 2:00 in the morning. I didn't feed the rays for 4 days before moving to ensure they wouldn't foul the water in the holding tubs. Move went well and all were eating the next day.

Guess I should have mentioned I was moving 4 large tanks and 12 rays.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fenton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Staffordshire, England
I made a similar move a couple years ago. Morning of the move I got up early, netted my rays into tubs, filled a 45 gallon plastic garbage can (new) full of tank water and hooked my filters to it to keep them circulating. Then i pumped my tanks out into a new water cistern tank loaded on my trailer. Movers loaded my tanks last and unloaded them first. I left the rays and filters at the old house. When we got to the new house, While they were unloading the rest of my stuff, I set up the tanks and filled them back up from the cistern. Then I went back to the old house, got my filters and went to the new house and set them up. Then went back and got the rays. The whole time rays had an air stone and heater in each tub. Each ray had their own large tub. Finally got them settled in at 2:00 in the morning. Guess I should have mentioned I was moving 4 large tanks and 12 rayys

So would you say my rays would be ok for 18 hours with no filter just a heater and air pump if they aren't fed for 2 days prior to moving to reduce the amount of ammonia they produce?

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
I didn't feed for 4 days before the move. My rays were fine sitting in tubs for 18 hours and if I had to move again I'd do it the same way. Most of the rays were young adults 14"+. I've had rays shipped to me before that we're bagged for 44 hours and were fine. That being said, there's no guarantee that nothing would happen to your rays.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I would think they would be ok, you can test the water anyway and do a water change if needed. There are some ammo lock products that you can use and it is worth buying a few poly filters to put in there for extra protection. Remember that a simple teaspoon of table salt can counteract nitrite spikes if they occur. It doesn't get rid of nitrite but it does help it stop affecting the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store