Foam/froth after starting up sump

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
It is mostly where the overflow drain meets the filter sock, but there is a bit in the tank. Could it be from it previously being a saltwater tank and the lines not being cleaned out that well?

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
I did a large water change just incase it was some sort of chemical, but all the fish seem to be doing fine, so I'm thinking it is maybe caused from maybe a bit of protein buildup in the pipes as well as a ton of agitation to the water.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
I also added quite a bit of stress reducer before I started up the sump. Not because I was worrie about stress or anything, but because I got a big jug with one of my other tanks and I've been trying to use it up lol. Maybe that can cause froth with a lot of agitation?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Could be the stress reducer, whenever there is agitation at the air water interface, and dissolved organics are present, foam will froth up. This is the how the concept of mechanical protein skimming works, and a natural occurrence of foam fractionation.
I use foam fractionation in fresh water, it is easily applied to fresh or salt water aquariums and ponds.
One of my DIY units below on a small outdoor pond.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Okay thanks! I'm assuming if my fish are still alive and doing fine, chances are it was not a harmful chemical creating the froth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store