flowerhorn with internal parasite. please help!

ChaosBreaker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
el monte
Hi, i have a flowerhorn he is about 6.5" and he have internal parasite. i have been treating him with tetracycline for a week but i found out that it doesnt kill parasites. so i tried out general cure. i been treating him with general cure for that past 3 days now. i havent been feeding him anything. he look like he is getting skinny and less active. its almost 2 weeks now since he havent be eaten. so i was wondering if he would be ok how long can he go without food and how long does it take to cure him with general cure? i ask my local pet store and they say it only take about 3 days to cure him. but it already have been 3 days and he still doesnt look interested in the food and he is still pooping out white strings. i have tried to feed him once today but he just stay at the bottom of the tank. please if u guys know anything and how to cure my fish i would appreciate it a lot. please tell me what to do he is my first flowerhorn and i been keeping him for 4 months and this is the first time that he got sick.

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
Why raise the temp? No need to raise the temp all that will do is add more stress and make a potential secondary bacterial set in. And aquarium salt will do nothing

Leave the temp. Get Epsom salt and id recommend api general cure. Use 2 cups distilled water 1 tablespoon of Epsom. Mix till dissolved. This is a 3% solution of magnesium sulfate.

In another container add about half package of api General cure snd pour in a little of the 3% Epsom mix. Stir til dissolved. Add some food pellets for about 30 min. Then feed. If not eating this can be dosed orally into the gut using a soft pipette

If you've been using api General cure and only treating the tank water with it that won't work. The fish has to ingest it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Forget all of the above if he hasn't eaten, loosing body mass, and the stringy poop is persistent use Prazzi Pro - follow the directions.

fyi - next time you might want to go directly to the fish disease forum

ChaosBreaker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
el monte
Thank for the advise my water temperate is at 85 degree. I even only mixing the general cure into a cup of water and add it in slowly. I have tried soaking the pellets into Epsom salt water and feed it to him but he doesn't eat it. He took a nip it and spit it right back out. Should I just inject the Epsom salt and general cure into his belly? So first I mix Epsom salt and general cure into separate cup of water then I mix up a little of each into one container then inject it inside him? Thank you again for helping me I really appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ChaosBreaker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
el monte
At that time when I went to buy the medicine for my fish that was the only thing they have to kill parasites. I also found this bio gold plus pallets which contain garlic in them. Some people said it would help. I found another solution said to treat it human internal parasite medicine soak it with the food then let it eat the pallets. But I'm so mad at the pet store around my area they said tetracycline would treat it but it didn't do anything until I met this one lady who said that doesn't kill parasite it only kill bacteria. I been treating him the whole week last week when he was still looking fine until the last few days I'm starting to see him loose color and his kok is starting to go down. I can't say I'm can 100% trust my local pet shop anymore but right now I just hoping I can heal my flowerhorn.

ChaosBreaker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
el monte
Why raise the temp? No need to raise the temp all that will do is add more stress and make a potential secondary bacterial set in. And aquarium salt will do nothing

Leave the temp. Get Epsom salt and id recommend api general cure. Use 2 cups distilled water 1 tablespoon of Epsom. Mix till dissolved. This is a 3% solution of magnesium sulfate.

In another container add about half package of api General cure snd pour in a little of the 3% Epsom mix. Stir til dissolved. Add some food pellets for about 30 min. Then feed. If not eating this can be dosed orally into the gut using a soft pipette

If you've been using api General cure and only treating the tank water with it that won't work. The fish has to ingest it.

So I add 3% of the epsom salt water into the cup which I have my general cure in right? Just wondering how long do I have to do this?

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
So I add 3% of the epsom salt water into the cup which I have my general cure in right? Just wondering how long do I have to do this?

The 3% is what the solution of Epsom is. You pour some of that into a cup half pack of gen cure dissolved in it. Soak food for 30 feed. Would recommend for a week. If you have to do the pipette normally 3 doses will be enough to get them eating

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store