Bichir question

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I picked up a few bichirs which are still fairly small. The youngest being a 2.5-3" Delhezi which still has his external lungs. He spends majority of the day in the plants near the surface. Should I put him in my breeding box on the side of the tank until he loses his external lungs? It holds .5 gallons and water flows in and out from my main tank, it measures 10.7" x 5.8" x 5.7" so he can still move around quite well, here is a link to it. The main tank is 125g which is probably a little big for the little guy, might be difficult for him to find food.

The others are Endlicheri's and they are in the 4-4.5" range and seem to be finding food without issue.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
That would be best. It'll make it easier to find food as well as keep it safe from being eaten. Those endli's will get much larger than the del and they grow super fast

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
The del should be fine as long as you can drop some food near the surface for him. He should loose the external gills pretty fast. Young bichirs also tend to stay towards the top so once he grows a little more he will start staying more towards the bottom

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
He tends to prefer the part of the plant which is in front of the FX5 outlet. He sways back and forth, the food won't stay in one spot long enough for him to get it. I'll continue to keep an eye on him. If he doesn't appear to be eating I might move him to the breeder box. I've only had him for 2 days, just trying to think ahead.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
He will be fine usually all baby pols hang out in a space above the tank and when they get Hungary enough they will know when the food drops in the tank. I would put the food in front of the fx5 and let it scatter. I would put him in the breeder because he wouldn't be able to move around like he could in the main tank. And when you release him I to the tank if you do out him in the breeder the endlis will not be familiar with him and will just go back to the same spot. If he doesn't eat for a couple weeks then Id put him in a breeder box.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
The little guy ate last night. He was hanging out at the top like usual and I placed a couple 1mm floating pellets in front of him. He managed to get two of them.

The Endli's are pigs.. Hopefully I'll see some great growth out of them.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Sorry to hear that how big are they? And how big was the del? I am finding out lately endlis seems to be more cannibalistic than any other LJ

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
The Endli's are maybe 4-4.5" and the Delhezi was 2-2.5". I saw one Endli swim from one side of the tank to the other fairly quickly so I went over to see what was going on and I saw a tail sticking out of his mouth.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
What have you been feeding them? That's seems to be barely any growth in almost 2 months which seems rare for smaller endlis

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store