sick shovelnose Catfish? (please help)

lakers12345

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
United States, IA
Hi, I'm new to this forum but read posts from time to time. Hoping someone can help me with my Lima Shovelnose Catfish. About three months ago he started to spit up stuff. I assume its stomach lining but not for sure. It is always a cloudy white looking substance that looks like stomach lining,membrane, mucus, etc. sometimes this stuff will stay attached from inside his mouth and stream along side him for a few hrs. The other fish in my tank also love to eat this stuff if that helps with info. This coughing up stuff use to be a rare occurrence and know it is daily. No nobody at several LFS has a clue what this is. I assumed maybe it was a internal parasite so I treated my tank with Praziopro 3 times over several weeks. no Luck. Hes eating just fine but if he eats a big meal it always triggers him to spit stuff up never the food but the stomach lining looking stuff. Also don't know how to explain this well but sometimes is anus extrudes out of him a little bit and an always white stringy looking thing hangs out a little bit. Does anyone have a clue what this is? Let me know if you need more information? by the way My catfish's main diet is Bloodworms and Frozen Krill. Sometimes I give him a treat with guppy's or Ghost Shrimp( Yes I know live food is risky :)

Some Info on my tank. It's a 90 gallon. It's been up and running for almost 2 years. Ammonia and nitrites are both zero. Ph is at 8-8.5. For the last 3 months have been using aquarium salt. I keep the tank at 78F. Along with the Catfish I have two Silverdollars, four large tiger barbs, one pleco L-004, 1 blue crawfish, and a pictus cat. I have two filters one canister and one HOB.

Thanks so much.
Andrew

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
Are you sure it's not just shedding? Limas do that and the use of aquarium salt may be irritating the fish enough to cause this more frequently. Can you post a pic or 2?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

lakers12345

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
United States, IA
Huh thats weird. Is the shedding and internal or External thing or both? As the stuff he spits out is defiantly from his mouth. The stuff doesn't show up well at all on pictures but hopefully these work. One is of the white stuff floating in the tank that he just spit up. and two others are of the stuff hanging out of his anus. Thank You for your help!
20140505_164612 (2).jpgIMAG0068.jpgIMAG0065.jpg

20140505_164612 (2).jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0065.jpg

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
The limas usually will eat the shedding. It's possible it's eating it and regurgitating it. As far as protruding anus you already treated for parasites. Maybe change diet. Soft meaty foods.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store