beginner salt water question.!

alexisnsanti

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
california
wanna start a salt water tank just asking whats a good saltwater beginner predator ?. for a 40 gallon b saltwater.. im very very familiar with fresh but wanna give saltwater a try but into predators ..

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
wanna start a salt water tank just asking whats a good saltwater beginner predator ?. for a 40 gallon b saltwater.. im very very familiar with fresh but wanna give saltwater a try but into predators ..
Id say some type of dwarf lion. There's a bunch but I personally like the fu manchu. They also are the smallest.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TNTtropical

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2013
ABC
I would also say a dwarf lion would be a good idea as well. There are a lit of varieties to choose from and they are truly a beautiful fish! Plus they typically are not going to break the bank!

alexisnsanti

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
california
Thanks a lot for the replies u guys like I said beginner saltwater are lions venomous?. And will just one do OK by itself in a 40 b

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Thanks a lot for the replies u guys like I said beginner saltwater are lions venomous?. And will just one do OK by itself in a 40 b
Ya they are venomous but as long as you stay away from those top dorsal spines, you'll be good. There are other more suitable beginner preds but your tank size kinda makes them unsuitable. Lions are still beginner friendly except for the fact that it takes time to get them off live. Most lfs don't try to switch them but if you find 1 that's already off live, you're golden. Just stay away from volitans. You might be able to get away with a radiata but I don't recommend it since they still get a good size, but any of the dwarfs are fine.

alexisnsanti

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
california
Ya they are venomous but as long as you stay away from those top dorsal spines, you'll be good. There are other more suitable beginner preds but your tank size kinda makes them unsuitable. Lions are still beginner friendly except for the fact that it takes time to get them off live. Most lfs don't try to switch them but if you find 1 that's already off live, you're golden. Just stay away from volitans. You might be able to get away with a radiata but I don't recommend it since they still get a good size, but any of the dwarfs are fine.

ok thanku once I get it setup ill post a pic .. so how much salt in a 40 b for a lion . sorry bout so many questions hahaha

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
One of the more difficult Lions to have swapped to frozen foods was the Fu Manchu - the easiest, with multiple specimens at home and work, was the Dwarf Fuzzy. After 7 months I finally managed to get my Fu Manchu off of live for good, the Fuzzy was usually within a month. Just easier to work with IMO, and out a lot more as well.
Venomous spines are located in a few other locations other than the dorsal fin - do some reading before keeping a Lion, as just a simple scratch from a venomous spine sticks with you for awhile. (Turned my arm red for a month!)
DSCF2181.JPG

DSCF1808.JPG

DSCF2181.JPG

DSCF1808.JPG

TNTtropical

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2013
ABC
Yea i would say generally fuzzy dwarfs are easier to acclimate to frozen food. Fu manchu's are also more expensive. I would recommend the dwarf fuzzy. They do have spines running along their sides as well even tho they are harder to see. And just put one in there with two you would be doing too much to start. Stay away from the radiata's as they do get too big for a 40 gallon----even tho they are sweet!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store