Seeking all Aussie Lungfish owners

KuhliaFan

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
Brisbane West
Hi there all, my name is Dr David Roberts from Australia and I am a fish ecologist doing some research on Aussie lungfish. Yeah thats right i get the lucky job of going out and catching and researching these treasures. See some photos attached. This is all done under the right Australian permits and you can google some of my research papers that I and some of my collaborators have written.

I am writing to the forum to seek any Aussie lungfish owners out there who might be interested in getting involved in a new research project we have up and running. The project aims to develop a non-destructive method to age wild lungfish. Non-destructive becasue they are protected, but also they dont have otoliths (ear bones) like other modern fishes so we have to come up with new ways to do it. What we are seeking is any owners who have a known age fish, that is you know its birth year, and would be willing to provide us with one scale from the fish. We can use this one scale to test a whole range of things but principally looking to use it to see if we can estiate its age from the scale patterns or chemistry. We can then hopefully apply these new techniques to wild fish and work out various critical population descriptons to aid in their future management. Your contribution will aid in the preservation of this species into the future. How cool.

Anyone who is interested please get in contact with me via PM or email (KuhliaDTR@gmail.com).

I hope there is some interest out there. If you want more information let me know.

David

Dave & Lungy a closeup 20100304.jpg

frazer island 005 (800x533).jpg

Large Lungfish.jpg

MahemthatisLungfishSurveys.jpg

Dave & Lungy a closeup 20100304.jpg

frazer island 005 (800x533).jpg

Large Lungfish.jpg

MahemthatisLungfishSurveys.jpg

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Have you tried contacting any aquariums?

Shedd Aquarium in Chicago has quite a few large Aussies.

KuhliaFan

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
Brisbane West
Have you tried contacting any aquariums?

Shedd Aquarium in Chicago has quite a few large Aussies.

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of Shedd Aquarium's "Grandad" lungfish. It is probably the oldest lungifsh in existance, but we dont know it's age as it was sent to the aquarium when it was already a large fish. If they had known age fish they might be able to help. I'll follow it up with them. If we can validate the method for ageing them using known age fish, we could try to get an age for Grandad. If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

KuhliaFan

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
Brisbane West
That's excellent Egon. Do you have a good idea of its age.? If you do get one could you put it in a sealed sandwich bag and freeze it trying to keep it flat. Then get hold of me and we can work out postage so your not out of pocket.
David

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
That's excellent Egon. Do you have a good idea of its age.? If you do get one could you put it in a sealed sandwich bag and freeze it trying to keep it flat. Then get hold of me and we can work out postage so your not out of pocket.
David
I'm confident my guy was hatched in 2007. I would love to help you out. I may be in Australia this August for holiday. Maybe you can show me around your facility?
Cheers :)

KuhliaFan

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
Brisbane West
You bet, we might be doing some lungfish collecting around that time, so you might be able to come out with me and search for eggs and play with a few big adults in the wild. Are you going to be in brisbane Qld? That's where we are at.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
You bet, we might be doing some lungfish collecting around that time, so you might be able to come out with me and search for eggs and play with a few big adults in the wild. Are you going to be in brisbane Qld? That's where we are at.
That would be a trip of a life time! I can be there............... gota check with the wife unit first ;) But maybe LOL Give me a window you think you will be collecting. If it works fine, if not, darn I will be in Australia...

KuhliaFan

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2011
Brisbane West
Apologies Egon, I've been on leave all of July touring the Northern Territory. We are doing a bit of work on around the 4th august. It's a long shot but you never know. We might be doing the odd egg survey through August as well, depending on when I have some spare time. David

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store