Native fish wet pet for a 55g?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I have always wanted an oscar because of they're cool pet like qualities. The only fish I've ever had that was like that was a green sunfish when I was a teenager. That thing got really tame, and would jump out of the water to grab food from my fingers. Which got me thinking along the native side. I already have a tank of adorable darters that I love, but are there any native fish that are comparable to oscars at all they would do ok in 55g? (or 45g or 29g maybe - I have one of each empty).

I am open to if anyone has any Native community ideas, although I have found the sunfish I have kept to be too aggressive for the 55g footprint.

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
Are you guys saying bluegill can be keep with Oscar's?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Green Sunfish. Great looking fish.

Pumpkinseed

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
Are you guys saying bluegill can be keep with Oscar's?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
You can never tell until you try. Some Bluegil will get along fine with Oscar's, some will fight to the death, and every variant in between. Every fish is different, and a lot of factors go into agression, like diet, temp, tank size, structure, dither fish, etc...

I've had a Green, Bluegil, and Red Devil together for 9 months without incident in a 45 gallon tank. My Pumpkinseed is in another tank because he will not tolerate the Bluegil at all.

20140516_193137.jpg

20140516_193137.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store