survival chance of ray when it swallows a fishing hook.

markado

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Singapore
Hey guys!

I am interested in getting some wild caught rays. But i am worried that they might have swallow a fishing hook. Was just wondering whats the chance of a rays survival after they actually swallow a fishing hook.
How long should the rays be quarantine before they are 100% safe?

Thanks MFK

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
that would be a 50/50 shot there with the odds leaning tward the not so good side. if they do swallow it real deep, they are pretty much done. one way to minimize damage and give you both the best shot, is smashing down the barb before you throw it out there. just keep the line tight after hook up and it will not come off. i have caught several fish for my tank this way and it works well.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Depends how deep the hook is and where exactly it attaches. Generally speaking fish hooks will rust out/deteriorate due to the enzymes the fish produces to fight it, though I cant image it would be too healthy until it does rust out. If you are thinking of catching your own rays, use a small barbless hook, and be prepared to lose more than you catch, and never let any slack on the line. From your post I have a feeling you mean you want to PURCHASE a WC ray but are concerned about the possiblity of a fish hook swallowed prior. My advice would be not to worry so much as the chances are fairly low, a fish like a ray would require a strong line, so the danger here is mostly if a fisherman isn't equipped to deal with one he will probably cut it, but I don't imagine locals are too nice to rays, my guess is they would probably severly damage it trying to yank it out. If it is caught again and is looking healthy my guess is it did not create any long term effects (based on knowledge of a rays appetite, that would be the biggest problem with a hook in a rays stomach).

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL

amazongirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Chicago
They can survive if they swallow a hook, even if it is lodged somewhat deep into the stomach, but obviously it is not an ideal situation. It is a common misconception that a hook will dissolve, at least in any kind of rapid rate. We brought in some rays from Brazil, 2 of which were found to have hooks on radiograph. Since they were so deep and we could not easily remove we elected to leave them and monitor them. Several years later the hook still looked intact on radiograph. We haven't radiographed lately but 5 years later the rays are still doing fine.

On a side note, we had a turtle that we'd had for over 15 years that was found to have a hook on necropsy. They persist a long time, despite what people tell themselves.

Hope that helps.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I know my UK take on things will be different but I would be devastated to think my fish had suffered on any hook, especially as captive bred is so obtainable. I couldn't imagine swallowing a sharp hook myself.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Hey guys!

I am interested in getting some wild caught rays. But i am worried that they might have swallow a fishing hook. Was just wondering whats the chance of a rays survival after they actually swallow a fishing hook.
How long should the rays be quarantine before they are 100% safe?

Thanks MFK
If you want to catch it by hook I suggest using a fluke hook. The odd shape is more difficult for it to swallow. But catching a ray by hook is 10x more stressful than any shipping meaning the mortality rate is 10x. You'll have like a 20% chance of survival..

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store