Can a Pima live with Piranhas in aquarium?

pbass510

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
Bay Area
I was doing some research on the scales and defense of a arapaima's scales and was wondering can a 3-4" Pima grow out with a pack of baby piranhas and if anyone has ever tried it? Just curious to see if anyone has ever tried this or thought about doing this? In the wild pimas have evolved and grew a defense system to the piranhas razor teeth but can they with stand them in a tank?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kiep

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
chicago, il
If the pira.. r well feed. Otherwise, nothing can survive a long with them.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Unless you have a huge tank I wouldn't even try. Young pima wouldn't have the same scale hardness as a adult but baby piranhas have teeth just as nasty as a adult. The young pima would get shredded or in a unlikely turn of events out grow the piranhas and eat them cause pima do eat piranhas in nature I believe

Sent from my VS840 4G

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
Were going to talk about the tank size, diet and a lot more of in here, though the armor can stand the piranhas attack I'm quite sure it's eyes and gills can't.

Piranhas usually go for the tail, that may lead to nips on the tail part of the pima causing it stress and other wound infections in the long run. Well if you can ever house a arapaima in the first place, might as well have other monster catfish instead of piranhas.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Id guess piranha would have the advantage when young but as they both grow im pretty sure the pima would eat the piranha

pbass510

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
Bay Area
What if you were to put silver dollars as dithers or throw other fast swimming dithers in ? Would that help with the nipping? I know pimas are pretty quick also. Would piranhas differentiate silver dollars when young?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
They'd still nip everything including the silver dollars

Sent from my VS840 4G

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Piranha nip and squabble like all fish the only difference is their teeth do major damage when they do. They even attach each other often when young. Anything you put with them is at risk, but thats not to say it cant be done. I had great success with black skirt tetras and rbp

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store