Black arowana with poor health

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
So my black arowana for the last 3-4 months has been eating very poorly. About a month ago he went off food entirely, until I recently bought worms and he loves those, eats tons. The issue started when I sold the peacock bass in my tank, which were the only other inhabitants that aren't bottom dwellers (I have 3 stingrays, rather large). He would not eat the food falling to the bottom, he would wait for it to hit the bottom, and scoop the food off the bottom sideways, causing his eyes to have surface damage, similar to eye cloud, but due to the fact that his eye hits the gravel everytime he goes to get the food.

A week ago, I noticed him not swimming, idling maybe 2-3 inches above the ground, opening and closing his mouth repeatedly. I also notice his fins looking as if they were rotting. I have pictures, but he is really camera shy and it doesn't show very well. It is possible the rays bite them during the night when I don't watch, but i have never once witnessed my rays pick on the aro. He has since resumed swimming, swooped in for some smelt but spit it out.

He has been through a rough time, his upper fins are a bit torn from jumping and hitting the lid and they haven't healed. He lost his silver shine and is more grey. Do you guys have any suggestion as to what is bugging him or what to do? I don't have a way to quarantine, and am very hesitant dosing my 400 gallon tank with medication because of the stingrays and the sump (don't want a ph crash or spike of any sorts). Any advice is appreciated.

uploadfromtaptalk1399496593816.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1399496606237.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1399496619489.jpg

Sent from my Z10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I do not think this is a case for meds.

The fish is stressed, and you may have had a crash of ph or an ammo spoke and the rays remained unscathed.

Blacks easily grab food from the bottom. They all learn to do it and in a lot of them i kept never have i seen them injuring their eyes.

If ii is eating again, and swimming, it may be going uphill.

Monitor the water quality.

When you mention worms, are you mentioning zoophoba wonderworms? Feed sparingly due to their fat content.

Your aro does not need a big intakeof food. We all feed too much. Let it get hungry now. Give ít a week.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Thanks for the reply. Ph is always consistent, if it wasn't my rays would tell me 10x before my aro, i know because I've been there a few times before. All my water parameters are good. When I say worms I mean earthworms. And I'm 90% sure the eyes cloudiness is due to going to the bottom for food, i have gravel as substrate, and during the periods in which he doesn't go down to eat, the cloudiness clears up completely. Watching him do it, he goes down and strikes sideways, and i see his eye hitting the bottom. Thank you for your input, any more is appreciated.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I maintain that you should not worry and give it time.

Does it gran the worms if you use your hand or tongs?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Okay, I guess 4-5 months just seemed concerning to me, but i appreciate the confidence. I have not tried, should I try? What would that indicate if he does/doesnt?

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I just read that baby aro like as little flow as possible. Does this apply to adult aro as well? Just realized I've steady been adding flow to the tank.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Can anyone confirm this? Maybe it's best I sell him.

StefanI

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2014
ontario
The two baby aros I had loved the current. Just sit and swim in it

Sent from my SGH-I727R using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
I read somewhere that you're supposed to keep current to a minimum, just not sure if this is only for babies or applies to adults as well. Anyone else have any input? Unfortunately I can't change the flow in my tank.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Arowana dont like current if it is overwehlming. You should have a low current area of the tank for it to retreat to. Floating plants in that area will also help it feel secure. Scar tissue will build up on the eye if you continue to let eat of the bottom. I got mine to stop by hanging the food in a veggie clip. It has been over 4 years since my black messed up its eyes eating of the bottom and I can still see slight scaring.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store