Lifespan of BB

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm setting up a 30 long in a week or so and I'm going to put an HoB on my 75 so it gets a good amount of BB (beneficial bacteria) built up, plus I'll be adding rocks from my 75 which should add even more bb. Now I'm doing this so I can add fish right away, I'll still monitor water chemistry and do water changes if I see ANY ammonia or nitrite though. Now I want to get a good buildup of bb on my substrate as well so I'd like to add the rocks in a day ahead of time since I've heard healthy bb can double it's numbers in 24 hours. What I'm worried about is I'll be catching the fish for the tank with rod and reel (yes, it's going to be a native tank :)) and if by some chance fishing is bad and I can't catch any fish (which almost never happens, I'm to pro a fisherman :ROFL) I'd go out the very next day and try again but I'm sure that the bb could live that long without an ammonia source. So in your experience how long can BB live without an ammonia source.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
You will be fine

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Your BB will only be sustained if there is a food source. I've looked many places online and never found a study establishing how long a population (or even an individual) will live w/o food, although anecdotal evidence is that at least some will survive for at least a week (since some fish are fed that infrequently). You shouldn't assume that the population won't decrease in that span of time however.

Your best bet is just to keep adding ammonia or fish food to the tank to keep the BB growing or at a constant level.

And there are 2 types of BB: under optimal conditions Nitrosomonas may double every 7 hours and Nitrobacter every 13 hours. More realistically, they will double every 15-20 hours, or longer in the case of nitrobacter. Growth is slower at temperatures below optimal (~77-82F), so if the tank is around 65F, for example, growth rate is much slower. pH can affect growth rate as well.

It's far better to work to sustain the population you are transplanting rather than let it fall and then count on it to rapidly reproduce.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store