Plant questions

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
Hello, I have some questions about some plants.

How low is too low of light for a java fern? (just wondering)

How long does it take for a jungle val to establish into a new location?

Could a jungle val produce runners in large, smooth gravel?

How can I get my jungle val to grow faster?

Thanks for any answers

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
I think instead of answering your questions it will be more helpful for you if I just ask you a few questions instead.

What's your tank setup like, size, type of lights, substrate, ferts, co2, ect.? Those are going to be big factors in all of your questions.

In general, if you want a measure of light, go with PAR ratings. In general, low light is 15-30 micromols of PAR. I wouldn't go any lower than this for growing any plants tbh, even if they could grow just doesn't seem worth it.

How do you determine PAR? Well, if you want to be precise you use a PAR meter...but that is some $$$ stuff even if you buy a DIY one. Me, I use rough estimates (cause I'm classy like that). If I were you, I'd look up on google "How to light a planted tank with PAR" and read the first link...specifically the updated thing it brings you to.

Now, depending on your lighting, that determine how you are going to have to add nutrients for the plants, since the growth demands that the light gives the plants will need nutrients to fuel, otherwise you get a bunch of unhealthy plants which isn't good.

Combining nutrient and light needs, that will change how fast any plant will take hold in a tank. But even then, so will the placing of the plant in your tank. My leopard val is struggling because its closer to some crypts than it probably likes...and its small and having trouble getting the light it wants to get.

As far as runners, the plant will produce runners regardless, but if those runners will take hold and actually grow into new plants or wither away depends on how well they can get their roots into the substrate. Can you show a pic of your tank?

As for getting your plant to grow fast, all it is really is time. Aside from that, plants grow faster with more light (provided your nutrients and co2 levels are appropriately adjusted to the lighting) so that's more or less all you can do.

Leo1234

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
California
My 45 gallon is 18in tall (I will move everything to a 180 gallon tank with T5 or a LED lighting system)

My lighting is:
Life-glo T8
1 bulb fixture
6,700 k
3320 lumen
320 lux
9000 H

My gravel is: large, smooth gravel

My nutrience level is high (i think)

I have a smallmouth bass, a brown bullhead catfish, etc.

1 airstone

2 filters (1 on the back, one is a canitser filter)

temperature is 68-82

no heater since native fish

ph ~6.5

My plants all have runners

My plants and how they look graded 1-5 (5 being best)

(4.5) 18in giant hairgrass: has ~10 runners all 6in tall

(2-3) 8in anubius: has algae on some leaves, yet gets new leaves a lot

(3.5-4.5) 4-6 in java ferns: all having runners and has no algae.

(2-4) 6in jungle val: just transplanted a week ago since uprooted. all leaves lost the upper half. use to be 16in

(3.4-4.5) 18in amazon sword: has some leaves with holes but not many.

(?) java moss: no or very slow growth. still green

(?) ~4.5in Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica': just got yesterday

I might have forgotten something on the list

sorry for the long post, I just like to format it this way sometimes

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
well, I will tell you this, you are at pretty low light, that much is for sure

I'd recommend having at least 2 t8 bulbs for low light with something that tall....or a single t5ho bulb would be low-medium light.

your plants wouldn't be getting all of their nutrients from the fish poop per say....trace elements would be missing, which are easy enough to get as either dry chemicals or just liquid fertilizers.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since you have what I would consider a cool water tank (Amer native), you may want to try Vallisneria americana, it grows like a weed under fairly low light.
Although I have found it does best in sand. I break off runners and start them in bowls of sand. You could easily do this, and place the containers under the large gravel. I have it in 55 gal tanks, with only shop lights, and hardware store type bulbs.
Couple pics

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store