Advice: Big Tank Or Pondarium?

BK1

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Australia
Hi MFK Community,

I was hoping you knowledgeable folks would give me some advice on my upcoming project, it is in planning phase only atm, however the decision has been made to go ahead, now its just deciding which avenue to take.

My situation is we are in Sydney in a 1920s californian bungalow house, with pine floors. I would love to get a monster tank inside, however reinforcing the floors (knowledge gained from other threads on this forum) to take the size tank we are planning would require too much work+investment. So I am left with the garage, which I believe will transform into a fish room with ease. Its on a slab, slab is approx 40cm at one end and 20cm the other. And yes, definitely secure and lockable.

Want this to be a monster setup, looking to keep RTC, Aros, gator gar, pacu, anything else rare and big that I can manage to procure. The ultimate being an arapaima, but cannot find even a sniff of one of these guys in Aus anymore.

Option 1: Tank: Am looking at having a custom tank made, a couple of possible sizes. looking at 10x4x4 or possibly 10x3x6 (6 high). Professionally constructed 19mm glass all round extra bracing. Then cut out a couple of holes in the walls of the garage (Asbestos, yay!) to be able to view the tank from the backyard also. Will make some fitting to cover the wall holes for the majority of the time, and just have it open when desired. Standard weir, sump (maybe 6ft, maybe 8ft?) etc.

Option 2: Pondarium: most likely 2.5m x 2.5m by 2m tall, viewing window made out of acrylic or plexi, about 2400mm wide and about 1m tall. placed at the front of the tank/pond, at the top, so the water level is across the top of the plexi, if you get what I mean. Intend to 3D model and create this properly with an aquaponics element to it for filtration, (and garden watering). (as well as proper mechanical filtration - Pool Filter? and a good UV setup) Would love to make it contoured, and more natural looking than square, however intend to do this ourselves. And had thought I would investigate a pool mob to see about pebblecreteing the inside of the pond to at least give it a bit more of a natural look than plain concrete. Had it loosly priced by a professional pond group, who suggested there wouldn't be much change from 20k. Material costings we have come to is 5k inc plexi. Couldn't stomach paying an extra 15k for labour. And we are *quite* handy.

So, what do you guys reckon? Both would be pretty sexy. And yes I realize that if I were to ever find an arapiama either of these setups is only an interim measure. And thats fine, eventually we will go bigger in the pond anyway, and I have no interest in keeping the fish in a space too small for them. And so their space will grow as they require it too.

What do you prefer?

Can you think of any suggestions? Potential problems I haven't thought of?

Other fish for the stocklist?

Thanks in advance,

BK

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
I like the pond idea better. I'd sure like to see it finished. Sounds like a lot of fun!!

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
I think both have pros & cons. I cant say but I know myself I would want both =P

Both sound great, I will say based on the fish your after you maybe better off starting with the tank, obtaining each fish ( will take time & maybe more money then the actual tank ) then once this is achieved move on to the second idea, I have seen large ponds built on other sites, very large using the cinder block method these were DIY & some had windows installed too this should bring the cost down.. I do also believe a 2.5m x 2.5m is too small for a giga to live happily for its whole life these fish are huge, ali gars also.

As for your fish... they are not impossible to find here but they are expensive compared to anywhere else... there were gigas going around a few months ago little birds told me and sent pictures but the price is close to 2k for a baby. the others do pop up more often but its still quite rare and expensive a few years ago they were not too costly but this year everything has increased 3-4x. Some of the fish you mentioned are also noxious meaning if certain authorities here find you you keeping them they will remove the fish & you can be fined... but they are all around I can assure you that.

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
Can you clarify units? You use meters, feet, and unlabeled. Please stick with one or label all :)

6 feet tall and 19mm glass does not seem like a good idea, not even close.

I like odd shaped ponds. They look more natural and I feel fish swim more naturally in odd shapes and curves vs sharp corners in a box.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
All sound good, the first tank sounds the way id go but its all about preference. Definitely not going to want a 6 foot tall tank with 19mm glass, it would burst before you got 75% full and at that depth anything and everything becomes a serious struggle.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
You really didn't say how the pondarium would be built. But for the cost of that custom tank you could do a serious DIY build.

For the garage tank, would one of those windows be into the house? Would the Pondarium window be viewable into the house? Personally, this would be my priority. Otherwise you might always regret the decision after the thousandth time going outside or into the garage to enjoy your fish.

For the pondarium, I always thought it would be cool to have a window from the house into something like that. Here in the states for about $10-15K you can get huge windowed fiberglass tank. If your house has a basement you can cut out a huge picture window in the concrete wall (with support beam) and then bury the tank and seal it up against the outside wall. With the basement wall window cut out with sloping edges, it would look pretty cool. THis would be the quick, easy way. Even better would be to pour yourself a concrete one exactly how you want it, using the basement wall for one side.

If you don't have a basement, maybe there is a wall in the house good for this and then you can make it look like a nice add-on to the house from the outside complete with matching shingles, ect and have a nice utility room on top.

Yeah, this is all hard-core stuff, but IMO, so is a giant custom tank that was bought. If it was me, I would research what the biggest body of water that you could afford to maintain and then start from there.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
For the price you will pay for that large of a tank you could make a kick ass pond setup.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I would go tank.

And i would go with aussie monsters, starting with the extra awesome Murray Cod.

BK1

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Australia
Hi Mate, thanks for your reply, I will ensure to keep a thread alive whichever way we end up going. Plenty of pics I promise.

BK1

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Australia
Hi Squirtle, seen you around a bit, thanks for the reply, ( Not exactly relevant - but dude, whenever I see your posts, I get captivated by your signature GIF. mmmmm)

I was thinking about the tank first, by way of a grow out of sorts. Also Tank would take roughly 1 - 2 months to build and accumulate everything. Pond more like at least 4 months (we work full time and with winter sunlight working hours will be restricted to weekends only). TBH pond is prob more like 6 - 9months of slow work. So I think you may be on the right track mate.

Which fish I mention are noxious? I didnt think any were, although all grey I thought. Man it really is hard to know what you can legally have and what you can't. EG, can you legally purchase and keep an asian aro if it was bred here (unmicrochipped?)

I've got a line on all those fish (not acquired yet) with the exception of gigas. Any regard him as the crowing jewel. So its a glaring omission. :( Dude, if you hear of any of those babies coming up again, regardless of price please let me know, I've got a pretty decent network of grey fish dudes in Sydney. but as mentioned never, not in 5 or more years of searching have I seen a gigas for sale. Its my grail.

I know dude, not a spastic, and thats why the lines around growing with the fish's requirements. the 2.5 x 2.5 should only house one for about 5 years (from a Juvi) in my estimation, and that depends on growth rate, it may well be shorter than that. Thats cool. Honestly I will build the 50000 + 15000 gallon ulitimate 'pima tank I believe we would all be familiar with, when/if required. - Also on the long term radar is the possibility of turning our pool into a pond. Don't worry man, as I said I have no interest in keeping the fish in a space thats too small for him. (Neither in an 'Asian' type set up, where its bare glass and fish)

2 worst things a fishkeeper can do IMO - 1. Keep the fish in a space thats too small, 2. release any fish into the waterways. - Anyone guilty of either of these crimes should be shot.

Cheers Squirtle,

BK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store