NITRATE PROBLEM

1eyedbicher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
west
Hey Guys, I have very high nitrates and I don't get it. Tank is a 125 I have 2 big canisters, a H.O.B. with purigen pack in it ,a powerhead and a sponge filter *. I have recently added 3 bunches of pothos and a soda bottle with ceramic rings to the powerhead and more rings in the H.O.B. .Rings were just added ,pothos added a month ago .I do 40%ish w/c every 4 days or so .All other parameters are great on My A.P.I test kit but nitrates are always over 40% .I even tried back to back water changes 2 days in a row for a total of about 75%....No difference! Stock is 10 Festae grow outs 3.5 to 5" and a school 7 of clown loaches( 3"ers)....Maybe a bit overstocked but I thought I could counter that with lots of water changes and what I THINK is plenty of filtration?.Tank has been running since Dec. but some of the filters have been running for close to 10 years. I use prime and have even tried double dosing . I am gonna take a sample to L.F.S. just to see if My test kit is bad....Also gonna add more media to My cans.....I am truely *puzzled. Any advice?:confused:

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Have you tested your tap water for nitrates?

What is the cleaning schedule on your canister filters?

1eyedbicher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
west
Hey Deeda ....forgot to mention that bit ....I tested it last week cuz I was sure that must be the problem .....Nope ,tested zero.I rotate cleaning the cans about every 3 weeks ......maybe too much? Also when I do My w/c's I dig pretty deep with the vac ,should I just vac the top most part of the gravel for a bit? am I maybe removing too much B.B. from substrate? Hoping all the new media will add up .The pothos are doing well and I plan on adding at least 2x's what I have now.Thanks for the quick reply.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
How deep is the gravel substrate?

If you aren't seeing a reduction in nitrates with the large water changes, it is possible the nitrate test is too old OR that you initially were not using the test kit properly and the reagents not up to par.

Gravel vacuuming should not impact your good bacteria perceptibly.

Do you see much debris in your filters when you clean them?

Which brand & model canisters are you using? What media are you using in them? Just curious how you have them set up.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
How deep is the gravel substrate?

If you aren't seeing a reduction in nitrates with the large water changes, it is possible the nitrate test is too old OR that you initially were not using the test kit properly and the reagents not up to par.

Gravel vacuuming should not impact your good bacteria perceptibly.

Do you see much debris in your filters when you clean them?

Which brand & model canisters are you using? What media are you using in them? Just curious how you have them set up.
X2. If your test kit is older than 6 months old, get your water tested elsewhere..
Nitrate reagent is very time sensitive.
Good thing is, the test reads higher than it should and you worry for nothing.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

1eyedbicher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
west
OK test kit was purchased about 6 mos. ago but who knows how long it sat on the shelf? I will take a sample in for testing elsewhere...the cans are a rena xp3 with w/flual bio stars or whatever they are called and foam pads and a newer (dec.) aquatop uv500 with a bunch of extra foam from an older can and ceramic rings and bio stars. the xp3 gets dirty fast but the aqua top doesn't seem to gather much loose junk in the bottom.I was thinkin of adding more rings and an API nirtazorb pack and/ or another purigen pouch? Maybe gonna make a ghetto soda bottle K1 moving bed fltr? hopefully secondary testing will show that I am freakin out for no reason but I am concerned for now,Cuz I want the best for My Festae ...They are doing great by the way as are the c/l's .Thanks for the help Guys.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
And too add to those above you need to shake a living crap out of bottle #2. It has crystals that settle down at the bottom and stick to the bottom of the bottle. I mean you have to shake the living piss out of it and give it a few good bangs on a table.

But photos take a couple of weeks to get started up, have you recharged the pureigin inside your canisters? If its a good sized plant then each plant should soak up about 15 ppm a week so if everything is fine in the tank I would just wait until the photos can kick in.

But if you want the fastest way to get rid of them that isnt labor intensive make a algae scrubber. My fh tank thats divided nearly has 10ppm of nitrates because the egg grate that I'm using has tons of algae growth on it. Its not stringy algae but the algae that just makes the surface green so I dont even have to clean it. I do water changes biweekly on it only because of the algae constantly keeps nitrate at 10ppm even with two little pigs eating tons. My tank is right below the window in the ceiling so it gets plenty of light, but if yours isnt your going to need to substitute sunlight with artificial light.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy

You said nitrates are at "40%". I assume 40 ppm? Honestly, if that's the case, that's not all that bad - it's what some members naturally have in their tap water.

Why are you worried?

HarleyK

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

1eyedbicher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
west
Danielcho, thanks for the tip ,I do shake it as directed but probably not as hard as I will now that I have that info.The pothos are starting to sprout new roots so thats lookin good.I will look into algae scrubbers , I have seen a couple how to vids and the tank is in the garage and has a small window behind it....no direct sunlight but enough light for the pothos to be happy would that be sufficient or would You recommend a spot light? I will search here for more info. The purigen has not been recharged yet ,it has been in use for about 2 months and looks like it is ready for recharge,I have it in an H.O.B. for now because I wanted to keep an eye on it as I have never used it before, after recharge I will most likely put it in a canister.
Harley,yes I meant 40ppm,oops- I want to get it BELOW 40- as of now it tests more like 80ppm. and I worry about the long term effects of that.
Thanks much everyone, I really like this place!

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
The algae scrubber doesn't need a very strong light so a cheap led lighting system would work perfectly but also regular lights would work. If you are going to do it, I personally would use this design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGLnBvDkaO0

Its the best one I have seen so far but as mentioned in the video I would go for a thicker black container and then possibly cut a rectangle in my back ground at the back of the tank so I would never see the light.

But lamps are cheap and cost of running them with high efficient bulbs now days are mere cents a month so a regular desk lamp would work just fine such as this one from walmart. I'm sure you could probably find one at a dollar store though.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Plastic-Desk-Lamp-Black/19398778

Most expensive part is probably the timer but its a investment well worth it I believe. I've been meaning to set up algae scrubbers on my other fh tanks and my jardini's tank but I cant find the time to currently! Its a project in the near future for me though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store