Help needed with silver arowana ....stressed from cracked tank

satyajit82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2013
India
Two days back I came back from work after doing a night shift at 4 AM. Immediately I entered my fish room, I was shocked to see my 125G tank is cracked on one side and loosing water. I picked up all my fishes in a bucked put in a air stone and cleaned the tank. All this happened between 4 to 6 AM, wifely called the LFS guy to get the tank fixed while I slept for 3-4 Hrs.

My stock was :

2X 8-9'' Oscar,
1X 5'' Microplesis Polota (American Tiger Dat)
1X 10'' Silver Arowana

At morning the tank was fixed by changing the cracked glass. BTW it was 12MM, and we do not have any idea how it cracked. And left it for curing.

In the mean time I lost one of my Oscar and the Dat, both died. So I shifted the remaining Oscar and Aro to the LFS.

Now when all is fixed and I have released the arowana and Oscar in the tank, the oscar is ok. Eating and swimming fine. But the Arowana is not swimming, it is just floating around, it has lost some scales, some damage to its pectoral fins. It is not eating, I have tried increasing the temp and putting salt. Tried giving it prawn, pallet, and Talapia. But it is just not eating. And very very less movement. Like it is in shock.

What can I do to get it start eating again, I am keeping the tank covered, as there are kid at home and he might be sacred by sudden movement.

Please suggest guys ???????????

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Im going through something similar with an oscar I just purchased. Hopefully I can get some answers by following

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
They went through a lot of stress. Just keep it dark and leave them alone. They will be fine.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sorry about your troubles and the aro hopefully will settle in soon if it hasn't taken on some illness while it was in its temporary holding...on a side note,you mentioned the names of two different datnoid species,microlepis and polota.The polota is known as the silver dat and microlepis is the indo.

NixMix

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2010
South Carolina
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm dealing with my set up going thru the same stuff. I had a crack and it started leaking (my 180). I eventually lost 2 fish and only a temporary solution for now. My fish have been in buckets for 10 days and I still have to buy a temp tank (90) to put them in while I get the replacement tank set up and cycled.

I know the feeling and I'm sorry you are going thru all this. You aren't the only one on mfk dealing w this!

Just leave the fish alone and they will eat later on when they recover from the stress.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

satyajit82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2013
India
Sorry about your troubles and the aro hopefully will settle in soon if it hasn't taken on some illness while it was in its temporary holding...on a side note,you mentioned the names of two different datnoid species,microlepis and polota.The polota is known as the silver dat and microlepis is the indo.

yeah...sorry ...
I got one indo and one silver dat...

satyajit82

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2013
India
The survived Oscar is great in shape now, just a few bruises and missing scales, it started eating again...

But the silver aro have lost most of its dorsal and pectoral fin, the barbels and lots of scales, and this happened in the repaired tank. Like the fish is loosing color too. As it was not eating, I tried with some live fish, which the aro use to love. But it did not touch them.

Today while I am writing this the aro is at the bottom of the tank, which it never should be. It is breathing but not swimming anymore and just resting at the bottom. It feels bad to loose the fish you have raised from almost a 4'' fry to a 10''-11'' baby aro.

Now this is forcing me to think what could I have done better to save the fishes in busted tank situation...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store