Does any one keep Gulf spiney turtle with fish?

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I have a seven inch Gulf spiney turtle with fish,I think its a male because it has a lot of spots and a nice olive green color. I read that the females have a darker brown shell while the males keep there color when they get full grown and stay half the size of females,so far he does not bother any of my fish,they are all large fish some over 26 inches the smallest about 5 they are in a 420 gallon tank,so if I have a male I do not think it would be a problem.So what do you think?

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
well I haven't had any replies ,so I will tell any one that wants to try go ahead because I am not having any problems so far its really cool to see the turtle swim all over the place non stop,I do not have a basking area does not seem to bother him at all and his shell looks really nice without any special lighting.In the month since I got it has not grown that much so if you want to get a turtle to put with large fish I would recommend try this one.Noel

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
Turtles eat fish, its what they do. I have seen fish be housed with turtles for years and then all of a sudden the turtle rips the fish in half. I would not suggest it.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
You can distinguish which sex it is by the placement of the cloaca. Males have the cloaca outside the margin of the carapace close tothe end of the tail. Females have the cloaca at or just inside the edge of the carapace.
This species is different than other softshells in that they have fleshy large lips. Just keepin mind these lips hide very strong jaws that can rip fish (and fingers) into properly sized chunks for eating.
I've never heard of any long-term kept aquatic turtle that was 100% safe. They're safe with fish only until they're no longer safe. Eventually, just a test bite can have fatal results.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
So far no problems with any aggression towards any of my fish he is well feed every day eating Taliapia and freeze dried krill,more concerned about my gator gar taking a bite out of him,the gar is about 28 inches long and when I put the fish in they both go for it at the same time.The gar has a huge mouth compared to the turtle when I see his large teeth chomping away it makes me a little nerve is but the turtle does not care at all.Ether he can sense the gar is not interested or does not know better.the gar could easily kill the turtle with one bite to the head,but does not seem to feel challenged at feeding time,hope it stays that way I really like my boy spot

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
Gar grabbed the back end of turtle last night when feeding Tiliapia,tried to spread it out around tank,but spot had other Ideas about were to get his meal and mozied on over to were the gar was chomping down some fish.all the sudden he grabbed the tail and back shell and shook him like a shark for at least 30 seconds and let go spot swam off like nothing happened only to come back for more food so I guess he is not to smart.He was lucky he did not get hurt,I would have really been upset if he was.I hope he learned his lesson,but he does not fear the gar at all.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
got rid of gator gar spotty is much happier now,still no aggression towards fish great pet if you are looking to put a turtle with your fish and do not want to spend a lot of money I suggest that you give this one a try.he is very cool swims all the time and eats like a pig,likes the tilapia the best and eats freeze dried krill

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
Well its been about six or seven month's now and spotty is doing great no aggression towards any fish very happy with him.I hope no one thought that I was an expert on reptiles I thought I made it clear from the start by asking if any one ever kept a Spiney Gulf turtle with fish.as usual there are people who can't wait to rip into you if you

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
Well had to get rid of spot,just picked up a two foot Motoro Stingray and spot was harassing her. I spent $400 bucks on ray was not willing to lose such a ray,but if you have fish that are large and moveing all the time I would go with turtle.I will miss my boy spot

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store