Large Fish in Square Tank?

Cloudk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2010
Swimming in a mountain river
I have a 6'x6'x20" tank. I'm wondering opinions on keeping large fish in a tank of those dimensions? Specifically I'll b keeping lrgmouth bass, channel catfish, and a few 10in fish. But I'm concerned about having such large fish in a short tank, i don't want to stuff big fish in a tank that isn't appropriate for them. Thanks for advice.

BK1

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Australia
Hey man, sorry, can you confirm, is it 6 feet by 6 feet by 20 inches tall? or width 20 inches?

BK1

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Australia
Sorry, should have been hey lady, apologies.

Hey Lady, I think you'll be outta luck, I mean that is an immense tank the length and width are amazing (6 feet, correct?) but damn its short,

From a quick bit of research " The current world record largemouth bass weighed 22 pounds 4 ounce and was 32 inches in length and 29 inches in girth"

So even if he get to most of that size, he wont fit. He will stick out the top of the water by a number of inches. Either go with a skinnier fish, (but long) (You are in the states? I think you can legally have an arowana) or get one and upgrade your tank accordingly when required. Typically aquarium fish don't get AS large as their wild counterparts, so you may never need the upgrade. But.... better to plan for it just in case IMHO.

Good luck,

BK1

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Australia
sorry for some reason my text changed colours, please highlight it to read the rest of my comment.

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
IMO I think you will have to give up on the bass and cat, cuz they will get HUGE and the length of the tank is only 6'. But you can go with some 10-15" fish if you like.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
IMO I think you will have to give up on the bass and cat, cuz they will get HUGE and the length of the tank is only 6'. But you can go with some 10-15" fish if you like.
A tank that is 6' by 6' could handle a large mouth. 20" height is pretty low but thats a pretty awesome sized tank.

Cod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
Michigan
no LMB is gunna get 22 lbs in the biggest tank, i'm sure you could fit a LMB in there. seems big enough, 480+ gal?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I calculate it to be around 400 gallons filled to the brim, you might be able to do a LM or pair in it, with a few others. The channel cat may outgrow it quickly though.
I overwinter my 2' koi, a few goldfish, and some cool water cichlids in a kiddy pool of similar size (its 8' X 5' X 22") , using pond filters and it has worked well as a seasonal retreat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store