Prime and api test results

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I remember reading somewhere that using prime may give you false positive for ammonia is that true ? If so how long should you wait to get an accurate reading ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
It will be a false positive in that it reads ammonia and ammonium. Ammonium is safeish for fish, and what prime converts ammonia to. The prime test kit only shows ammonia. I don't mind seeing total ammonia, it lets me know if my filter isn't removing ammonia before the prime stops working. If I was doing a fish in cycle I think I'd lime to know both, since I'd detoxify the ammonia with prime.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
It will be a false positive in that it reads ammonia and ammonium. Ammonium is safeish for fish, and what prime converts ammonia to. The prime test kit only shows ammonia. I don't mind seeing total ammonia, it lets me know if my filter isn't removing ammonia before the prime stops working. If I was doing a fish in cycle I think I'd lime to know both, since I'd detoxify the ammonia with prime.

How long do you think it takes for it to register an accurate reading ?

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
According to prime it stops binding after 24-48 hours. I'd say that'd be when you'd have all the ammonia as nh3 instead of nh4.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
From Seachem's FAQ:

Q:I tested my tap water after using Prime and came up with an ammonia reading. Is this because of chloramine? Could you explain how this works in removing chloramine?

A: Prime works by removing chlorine from the water and then binds with ammonia until it can be consumed by your biological filtration (chloramine minus chlorine = ammonia). The bond is not reversible and ammonia is still available for your bacteria to consume. Prime will not halt your cycling process.
I am going to assume that you were using a liquid based reagent test kit (Nessler based, silica). Any type of reducing agent or ammonia binder (dechlorinators, etc) will give you a false positive. You can avoid this by using our Multitest Ammonia kit (not affected by reducing agents) or you can wait to test, Prime dissipates from your system within 24 hours.

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Prime.html

Edit: Whoops, beat me to it.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Thanks guys

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com