how well does your anubias grow?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
So im trying to figure out how to get my fertilizers in check for maximum growth and minimal algae. About every 3-5 days im getting a new leaf on each part thats growing. Seems to be doing well but after maybe 10 days the leaves start to get algae on the edges. I think my plant is healthy, but I also know healthy thriving plants usually out compete algae for nutrients right? Am I making a big deal out of nothing? In the pic you can see new leaves unrolling to both ends of the plant20140508_215643.jpg

20140508_215643.jpg

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Anubias tend to be slow growers, even with high light they won't outcompete the algae. I get algae on mine quite often if I don't use excel and only use my second light for a few hours instead of all day.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Haha random intro mafamil but hello and welcome to mfk. Think limited access until you get either 5 or 10 posts.

And I am dosing liquid carbon, api I believe because excel was out of stock. Only other plant in there is java fern so is the consensus that the plants are slow growing and not enough to use all the nutrients in the water? Im really focused on the health of the plants above all else at this stage and want to get them perfect before I add discus because I dont want to be having a chemistry experiment with expensive and sensitive fish in there

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
I would think so, java fern is also slow growing.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have a number of anubius plants is different tanks.
In some with supposed plant friendly lights, they battle algae.

I do find, if there are other species of plants with them, they sometimes do better.

But the funniest, is in a tank with a cheap light, no heater (room temp approx 68'F)
no ferts, and only a small number of fish. This tank is a 40 gal tall, gets just a bit of reflected sun, but the anubius is about 16" tall, the root system about 6", and the plant grows leaves that emerge out from the water.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Wow duanes thats some massive anubias haha. If you didnt say the size of the last tank I would've guessed 10g. Im sticking to the nana "petite" in this tank. I guess ill go to the more reactive side of the algae battle and figure out something that will eat the algae better but wont escape the rimless tank

limz_777

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
a good way would be placing your anubias in shaded areas

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The mother plant that mine came from is at least 4ft tall, growing out of the owners tank at least a ft, it is amazing.
I keep a couple bristle nose plecos in 40 gal above, they help slightly with algae.
Other inhabitants are a few Gymnogeophagus quilero, and a trio of Xenotoca eiseni.
Here's a couple photos from a couple years back when it was about half the size it is now.

Mr. Mom

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2013
Alberta
We battled algae with our Anubias for a while, then we decided to start checking things with different light setups. Found my T5 on my 55G was way too much for our Anubias, even with watersprite floating at the top of the tank for shade.
Put them under Fluval LED 5200K 35W setup, if they were near the bottom of the 30G and shaded the algae wasn't much of an issue, but above the half way mark then they were dealing with algae issues again. This with Watersprite growing on the tank surface as well.
So we then moved them to our 2x 29G tanks, 1st has a T8 6700K bulb and the 2nd has 2x 6500K 10W 5"bulbs. In both these tanks the Anubias were fine with no algae issues. Although it appeared to have slightly better growth with the T8.
As for dosing we dose all 4 tanks with the same ferts,
-Api CO2 booster daily at lights on, recommended dose
-Api Leaf Zone once a week (Sun.) recommended dose
-Flourish Iron once a week (Wed.) half of recommended dose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store