Lets see your biggest longnoses and gator gars

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
ok, let me go out and re-hook that 5ft long nose that I released 2 years ago.

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
I have seen one around the 7ft mark once behind a dam feeding on some shad in Leesburgh Alabama. Had to been the biggest longnose I have ever seen.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I have seen one around the 7ft mark once behind a dam feeding on some shad in Leesburgh Alabama. Had to been the biggest longnose I have ever seen.
6ft 9 inch is believe to be the biggest one in TX freshwater fisheries center, a 7ft longnose is most likely a hybrid longnose-gator.

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
The part of Alabama I was Leesburgh AL, there are no gator gars in Lake weiss. I have seen spotteds there too. I still think what I saw was not a hybrid just a really big longnose.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
So because it's 3" longer it has to be a hybrid? FAIL

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
because there is no record of a 7ft longnose or a long nose that even pass 7'10''. TX freshwater fisheries center probably have one of the biggest longnose gar that ever exist in their breeding pond.
PS: maybe Polypterus might be able to give you a better answer than me because he gave me a hard to swallow lesson on there is no 7ft longnose when I think that fish at TX FFC is 7ft long.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
Gars grow larger than others, their isn't always a constant growth pattern for any fish or any animal genetic abnormalities occur.

Do hybrid animals even exist in the wild? I have never heard of a any hybrid wild animal.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Gars grow larger than others, their isn't always a constant growth pattern for any fish or any animal genetic abnormalities occur.

Do hybrid animals even exist in the wild? I have never heard of a any hybrid wild animal.
I do see a lot of gar around me that most likely hybrid with there look. when fish get stuck in an isolated area (like a lot of pond, creek that once connect to the river before a long time drought in Texas) they will start produce hybrid between different species in the same family. Just like cichlid and some other fish, gar do that as well.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
I do see a lot of gar around me that most likely hybrid with there look. when fish get stuck in an isolated area (like a lot of pond, creek that once connect to the river before a long time drought in Texas) they will start produce hybrid between different species in the same family. Just like cichlid and some other fish, gar do that as well.
You should catch some and show us, hybrid gars sound really cool I'd love to own a few.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store