% of killers to peaceful (or tolerable) jardini

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Just in case when Im ready for a lei and either can't find one of get ripped off and order a lei and get a jar, about how many jars are totally intolerable to tankmates? Would raising them with other armored fish from a young age help in the long run? Or is the rate of killers just too high haha

Really thinking about going with an afrowana instead, just to cancel out the whole tankmates thing

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I would say 80% are just savage killers. Raising them with tank mates will help but when they hit 8 inches its just risky. But when there 14 inches or so they seem to calm down.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I can only speak from my one experience. I got a Jar at about 2 1/2". It was in a 29L with other fish of the same size, planted tank. I hand fed it from day one. When it got moved at about 6" to my 125, it was with discus. This was before the internet (92?) and neither the fish or me were aware they were bad-ass. The only thing it was ever mean to was out fingers when it shredded them at feeding time. The only live food it ever had was crawdads and night crawlers. Oh, and the occasional tree frog that was on the picture window. I kept it til my tank split a seam at about 22". It never once caused a problem. I have a Lei now that is about 18-19" and it has been raised the same way. It has never shown any aggression either. It is my opinion that hand feeding from a very young age along with just a lot of interaction with people helps a lot.

henria86

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
Big City...
its hit or miss. I raised them from 2inches when they got about 10 Oh boy the personality changed to a savage killer>
or the other ones I had stayed the same mellow.
Its just Hit or Miss on them

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I can only speak from my one experience. I got a Jar at about 2 1/2". It was in a 29L with other fish of the same size, planted tank. I hand fed it from day one. When it got moved at about 6" to my 125, it was with discus. This was before the internet (92?) and neither the fish or me were aware they were bad-ass. The only thing it was ever mean to was out fingers when it shredded them at feeding time. The only live food it ever had was crawdads and night crawlers. Oh, and the occasional tree frog that was on the picture window. I kept it til my tank split a seam at about 22". It never once caused a problem. I have a Lei now that is about 18-19" and it has been raised the same way. It has never shown any aggression either. It is my opinion that hand feeding from a very young age along with just a lot of interaction with people helps a lot.[/QUOTinch

I love that about both of you not knowing it was mean haha, I love handfeeding and my tanks are in my room which I spend a good amount of time in especially in winter so it will get plenty of interaction from plenty of people.

Thanks for the stories guys keep em coming! If my tax return gets back soon I might get jar fry from them only like 2-3 inch

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Bumpp thinking about doing this if I can't find a lei, jars are pretty rare around here so I know an LFS who would take it if it got too unruly. I love my ancients so as long as its good with wolves and bichirs it'll do fine, I'd sell my pbass if its only them 2 fighting I could see that easily

My Orino is a mean bass haha

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Where are you at with getting a large tank? 8x2.5' minimum.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
In my experiences most are mean killers but tankmates have always been possibilities , it just can't be fish that run and hide ( once they start doing that there targets) if you pick fish that stand there ground , I raised my big jag with my last jardini they did fight from time to time but mostly lived in harmony , I did loose lots of cichlids finding the right combination though he killed loads flowerhorns , Midas, etc just got terrorised he also ate a wolf fish and a snakehead :banghead: , big cats work well as there bottom dwellers and generally to big or spiky to be attacked/eaten , also my birchir seemed to be safe from my jar he never tried to eat him he was only 8/9" and my jar was 22" no idea why

My new baby jar 6/7" has already stressed a 6" DAT to death so I suppose you need to get lucky with them , interaction will help though as Rodger said hand feeding and kept well fed will also help the cause

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Where are you at with getting a large tank? 8x2.5' minimum.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Going in the garage with it, now that I'm sufficiently sketched out about it on the second floor on going with the fish room thing. Also now that I'm not restricted I wanted it 8 x 3 x 2.5

Adam Sabz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2010
Buffalo, NY
My 24" jar killed a pair of really nice peacock bass, he's been by himself (and a pleco) for a few years, but I would like to test some large bichers in with him to keep him company. Btw I sent you a PM buffalo...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store