Monster tank lights

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
I'm in the planning stage of a 10'x4'x4' tank and need some ideas for lighting. I would like a system that has sunrise/sunset options, preferably LED but will look at fluorescent too. I've seen some systems but most tend to be very pricey, I don't want to go cheap but don't want to spend a fortune.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I am buying pendant "nook" lights that can fit par38 LED bulbs and attaching them to timers for my 450. This way the wife gets fixtures she likes and I get the lighting I want. WIN-WIN!

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
I'm in a similar boat because my Marineland Double Bright 48" LED light is having some issues starting up. I've got it on a timer and for whatever reason this week it won't start up unless I unplug it and then plug it back in. If I leave it plugged into the time it won't fire for some reason. Not sure what the deal is but manually starting the light each day negates all the fancy items I have to avoid such a thing and is really annoying. I woulda thought that LED lights would have come down more in price by now but it doesn't really seem like it.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I'm in a similar boat because my Marineland Double Bright 48" LED light is having some issues starting up. I've got it on a timer and for whatever reason this week it won't start up unless I unplug it and then plug it back in. If I leave it plugged into the time it won't fire for some reason. Not sure what the deal is but manually starting the light each day negates all the fancy items I have to avoid such a thing and is really annoying. I woulda thought that LED lights would have come down more in price by now but it doesn't really seem like it.
How long have you had it? If it's still under warranty you can contact them and have it replaced. Mine just all of a sudden stopped working and my lfs just gave me a new 1 instead since they're tight with a rep from marineland

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
How long have you had it? If it's still under warranty you can contact them and have it replaced. Mine just all of a sudden stopped working and my lfs just gave me a new 1 instead since they're tight with a rep from marineland
No warranty because I had to take it apart to split up the 'moon light' LEDs from the white LEDs. From the factory it's one power source and you can set the toggle switch to different settings but this does you no good if you run a timer, which I do. So I took it apart and split up the two circuits and made it so that each circuit has it's own power source which I have plugged into offsetting timers. I think the newer versions have a timer built in but I'm not sure if it allows you to run them both on offsetting timers or not. Either way I checked all my world and all my solder joints are still fine so I suspect a faulty power source component (capacitor most likely) that's not energizing properly upon power up. At any rate, I have no warrant so I'm left with this turd that I overpaid for and due to my experience I can't recommend this product nor will I buy another one if it does finally go out for good.

bjbass

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2010
PA
No warranty because I had to take it apart to split up the 'moon light' LEDs from the white LEDs. From the factory it's one power source and you can set the toggle switch to different settings but this does you no good if you run a timer, which I do. So I took it apart and split up the two circuits and made it so that each circuit has it's own power source which I have plugged into offsetting timers. I think the newer versions have a timer built in but I'm not sure if it allows you to run them both on offsetting timers or not. Either way I checked all my world and all my solder joints are still fine so I suspect a faulty power source component (capacitor most likely) that's not energizing properly upon power up. At any rate, I have no warrant so I'm left with this turd that I overpaid for and due to my experience I can't recommend this product nor will I buy another one if it does finally go out for good.
I have the same lights and had the exact same problem as you after running the lights for about 4 years. It turned out to be the power supply that was the problem. They are hard to find and when you do find them they are usually expensive and were some Chinese name brand on them. I researched AC adapters and found them on Ebay really cheap (~10 with shipping). I just cut the connector off and soldered on my old cord from my original AC adapter so it had the right angle connector and also so that the cord was long enough. The original cords were short, but the ones I bought were even shorter. So now I have two really long cords on both of them. Let me know if you want more information and I will send you which ones I got.

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
I have the same lights and had the exact same problem as you after running the lights for about 4 years. It turned out to be the power supply that was the problem. They are hard to find and when you do find them they are usually expensive and were some Chinese name brand on them. I researched AC adapters and found them on Ebay really cheap (~10 with shipping). I just cut the connector off and soldered on my old cord from my original AC adapter so it had the right angle connector and also so that the cord was long enough. The original cords were short, but the ones I bought were even shorter. So now I have two really long cords on both of them. Let me know if you want more information and I will send you which ones I got.
If you want to post up whatever details you can find that would be super swell. I was going to take apart the power source but have been really busy lately and would much prefer being able to just replace it for ~$10 if possible. Thanks!

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
I love my beamswork marine bright led fixtures. I have them on all my 4' tanks. They arent too expensive. You can probably make due with 2 of the 5' fixtures but 4 of them would make it pop. I dunno of they are dimmable but they have timers on them as an option.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Define "cheap" and "pricey"! Reefbreeders leds are a decently priced option but still a bit on the high side with the controller. Basically any led with the sunrise/sunset controllers (dimmable led systems) are going to be "pricey". For large tanks you are better off buying a controller such as an Apex or reefangel then buying "cheap" leds and using the controller to dim the lights. That direction is far "cheaper" than buying many fixtures with built in controllers.

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
Define "cheap" and "pricey"! Reefbreeders leds are a decently priced option but still a bit on the high side with the controller. Basically any led with the sunrise/sunset controllers (dimmable led systems) are going to be "pricey". For large tanks you are better off buying a controller such as an Apex or reefangel then buying "cheap" leds and using the controller to dim the lights. That direction is far "cheaper" than buying many fixtures with built in controllers.
I was just looking at controller options for the Current USA LED lights that people seem to love around here and they seem to range between like $25 for a one program to less than $85 for the pro version w/the dual program (probably the one I would get) clocking at around $50 which doesn't seem to bed at all when you consider the light itself is about $100-$120 for popular sizes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store