Nutrition

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
Interested in incorporating a pellet into the rays diet simply to be sure they are getting all the vitamins they need to thrive. Tried mixing in massivore for a month awhile back...the rays would not touch it and the wife thought someone died in the fish room.

Currently they get tilapia, shrimp and silver sides. On occasion, a few worms for a treat.

For those of you who have done studies on what a ray truly needs in their diet to thrive, are the above foods enough or are pellets necessary for proper nutrition?

-What do you use/feed
-Where do you get it (if pellet)
-Why is it the best in your educated opinion

I am especially interested in info from those of you who are successful breeders.

I remember a thread similar to this awhile back but couldn't find it. Your more than welcome to throw in the link to it if all of this has been discussed...

Thank you

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Nls is my number one choice. 10mm mega
But to save cost and feed more pellets I feed Kens krill pellets a good bit as well and have actually started feeding it primarily and the nls more as a treat which they definitely look forward to and love.

Place to buy Kens fish food online.
My wife dislikes the massivore smell and so do I. Also the cost is rather high in comparison.

Kens krill and nls both have a good mix of vitamins and supplements and overall ingredients are good. I feed allot of nls and have seen great results with any and all cichlids so I know it has done allot of fish good at my home.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
NLS can be bought at most largescale petstores, online at big al's or other aquarium equipment sites.
big al's has a retail store chain in canada, though sadly not in the US. even some smaller LFS will carry NLS. krill pellets can be bought the same way, from various brands.
If you can't find them locally, might need to order online.

i didn't really have a ton of success with pellets with mine, they would eat massivore once in a while, but their main diet was tilapia, shrimp, canadian nightcrawlers and sometimes they'd eat silversides but didn't care that much for it.

massivore is so expensive because it's japanese and they have a very hard time importing into north america, due to health code differences between the countries. they also get nailed with a huge import fee, which hikes the price up. a bag of massivore is like 36+$ in ontario, canada. it's ridiculous.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I soak massivore in the water I thaw shrimp in or blackworm water. Sometimes chop earthworms in a tiny bit of water and soak pellets in there. They pound it down and soon take it straight from the bag. Never tried Kens or nls. Heard great things about both.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
All of my rays save one (she is newish) pound massivore and will not touch other pellets... they get silversides krill and shrimp and then the massivore.

A pretty big BD breeder in NY I know feeds solely silversides and supplements with massivore 3 days a week he said they need the pellets for the vitamins but on a daily basis it is overkill.

If you want the NLS order it from here www.jehmco.com the prices on the big buckets are the best i have found they also have great pricing on froxen foods.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
My rays won't touch most pellets. They tolerate the hikari sinking gold mini and hbh cichlid attack and carnivore but their main diet is earthworms with raw market shrimp.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Bumped up a few of the old pellet threads for you Scott.......

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Wow, I wonder how many people aren't feeding pellets because their rays are stuck on frozen or worms. All of my 14 rays eat pellets and algae wafers except for one and that's just because I recently acquired her in a trade. But mark my words she will be eating pellets sooner then later. All my rays also eat frozen everything so bases are covered for nutrition. I alternate frozen and pellets so that they get all their vitamins. I have had 7 batches of pups and currently have 3 females pregnant but I am not sure if that's due to diet or water. But If I were you I would try to get them on some kind of pellet just to make sure they are getting all their nutrition. Not to mention pellets are easier for other people to feed when you are away. I found Hikari is easier to get any fish onto and if you are alternating it's not too expensive. I tried NLS but the rays make a mess in the tank with pellet debris everywhere.

-What do you use/feed-Hikari massivore,carnivore and hikari algae wafers. Frozen smelt,shrimp and mixed seafood.
-Where do you get it (if pellet)Most of my food comes from Kens fish or Pets and ponds.
-Why is it the best in your educated opinion-My opinion doesn't count or least I have been told so I will leave the educated opinions to the scientists and know it alls. But I must be doing something right if my fish are all healthy and don't get disease or mysteriously die for unknown reasons. Not to mention now that they are mature they are all breeding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store