This is going to sound ridiculous

I C Mud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2014
Winnipeg
While at my lfs I saw a Banjar red Asian arowana 10". I have often looked at Arowana opting to not go that route, but our eyes locked and it was as though we both knew he needed to be mine. :screwy: I was thinking he would probably be quite healthy and comfortable in my 300g with my clown loaches. Their requirements seem identical. Anybody every experience this? Comments on the tank size and room mates compatibility greatly appreciated. I am trying to be patient and sleep on this overnight but it's gonna be a very long night. Also (not that I really mind what it costs) how much is a great specimen ?

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
I don't know much about aros but I'd think you'll need a bigger tank if you want to house it comfortably for life, like 500g+ but I like to give fish as much room as possible, as far as tank mates aros seem to be ok with any fish that's to big to eat, except other aros, most seem to hate other aros unless they have been together since small. Hope this helps, I too was like you and not wanting to go the arowana path but now I'm planning on getting a black aro, keep us updated and pics too if you get it.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
It's not the gallons that count it's the footprint. How wide is your 300 gallon if it's 3 - 3.5 feet wide then you should be perfectly fine with an asian arowna they don't nearly get as big as silvers or blacks (which top at about 4 foot).and a tank as big as 500 gallons is probably not needed. Asian arowana will only get 2.5 feet or so And the arowana should be fine with the loaches however since the arowana is not small he might consider the loaches food it's always a gamble. To add to this I've kept silvers and a jardini I would keep Asians but I'm in the U.S and I can say the silvers are more passive while the jardini is more aggressive and if the asian arowana is as much alike as the jardini in looks as it is in behavior it may want to be a solitary arowana. Lastly they can be pricey over $900 most of the time for a quality specimine. Best of luck I say go for it

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Do the loaches have hiding places?

I think the aro won't try to eat them. They instinctively know it is a bad meal.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
i had a similar experience with my wyckii, i also went away only to return a week later and snap him up!-) he was in a small tank and was happy to come to the front almost begging to be taken home like when your at the dog sanctuary... if the money isnt an issue and your tank has the footprint i say go for it, its not often you bond with a fish before you own it, its usually a specimen on youtube that makes me go hunting for a baby version. like the aro my cat was already 12 inch and looking for a permanent home, be prepared to work your tank around him tho, although the aro shouldnt be as aggressive as my cat... ive had some rocky moments with him eating and killing tankmates but he is still here!-)

I C Mud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2014
Winnipeg
Thanks everyone for your responses. The tank size is 8'x2.5'x2' tall. So should be o.k there. My loaches have tons of hiding spaces, but their sizes range from 3"-over 12". Some of the loaches are 20 years old and I would not want to put them at risk. Going to think about a back up plan in case the **** hits the fan.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
When I put larger semi aggressive fish in with my loaches their behavior changed. I had a 13" NTT dat and 9-10" oscar with them. Both left the loaches alone, but the loaches still hid a lot more. They survived but were not thriving. They were no longer schooling around the tank as often, or just laying on their sides "playing dead" like loaches do. Not saying you will experience the same. I have a smaller set up and different tankmates. But just wanted to share my experience.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I C Mud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2014
Winnipeg
Thank you for sharing your experience. I have decided to wait. Apparently there will be some more coming in at a smaller size. This may be easier for the new addition as well as my current stock, and it will allow me some time to set up my other 180g for my buccochromis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store