switching a planted tank

garganoth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
orange
I just started my first planted tank, it's a 29 gallon with a aqua clear 70 ( overkill I think but I had it on hand) my question is I have small fish, white sand some driftwood and a variety of plants. The only problem is it's a tall tank and I thinking about switching to a 30-45 long tank...would I just pull everything out lay it out and then replant/place in the new tank after being cycled? Are there steps for doing this prevent any fish or plant loss?

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
if you have the filter running with a BB colony, there wouldn't really be a re-cycling. just take a bucket of tank water, place the media in it with an airstone and pump while you switch tanks.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Think of it more as a really big water change that ends up with more water in the tank than you started with.

What I would suggest though, is if you could, set up the new tank on its own and take time enough with it to plant it and scape it as you please. Also, add into the tank at least some of the old water. And I'd probably add all the old plants into the tank before adding the fish, just to stress the fish out less.

Also, you'd probably want to upgrade your lighting to something that fits the new tank, and have said light give as much light as your previous one did...that way you wouldn't be loosing too much (although do expect some melting on the plants from being moved, but nothing will completely die back if you do things correctly, at least it shouldn't completely die back)

I also recommend...if changing tanks...consider doing something different, ya know? I find it boring to keep re-creating the same style and feel over and over again

garganoth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
orange
Think of it more as a really big water change that ends up with more water in the tank than you started with.

What I would suggest though, is if you could, set up the new tank on its own and take time enough with it to plant it and scape it as you please. Also, add into the tank at least some of the old water. And I'd probably add all the old plants into the tank before adding the fish, just to stress the fish out less.

Also, you'd probably want to upgrade your lighting to something that fits the new tank, and have said light give as much light as your previous one did...that way you wouldn't be loosing too much (although do expect some melting on the plants from being moved, but nothing will completely die back if you do things correctly, at least it shouldn't completely die back)

I also recommend...if changing tanks...consider doing something different, ya know? I find it boring to keep re-creating the same style and feel over and over again
I have big plans for the new one. I got a 300 lb 6 foot piece of driftwood I'm cutting up and soaking right now...i want to make it look like trees growing at the bottom of a lake. Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

garganoth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
orange
if you have the filter running with a BB colony, there wouldn't really be a re-cycling. just take a bucket of tank water, place the media in it with an airstone and pump while you switch tanks.
That's a good way at looking at it thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store