Fluval 406 stopped working, need help asap

Feeder Fish

Feeder Fish
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2012
USA
Hey guys so I'm sitting here watching tv and my fluval 406 starts making crackling noises like air got in the filter, a few seconds later it shuts off and dies. I messed with the impeller, the filter is spotless and clean, it makes constant crackling noises and sounds like the impeller is jumping around inside. I can't have a dead filter as no stores are currently open and my 55g full of peacocks which I'm currently treating with melafix will not be happy. Any advice?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Take the impeller out and wipe the well with a swab. see if the impeller has come loose from the magnet. Sometimes the glue lets loose but it looks fine. did the impeller ceramic shaft break? If it is making noise then I think the motor is good.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
If its rattling inside the motor housing the magnet is off balance. Look for wear lines on the magnet. You may have got sand in it or it isn't primed and is running dry. Make sure the water is flowing.

Clean the whole unit, filter pads, the can etc. Put it all back together and give it a go.

If that doesn't help you may have a hose connection above the water line that has a slight leak causing a lot of air in the system! That happened to my fx5 once, I tried everything to get the air out and nothing worked. I then realized a hose that was clamped on the intake was above the water line and it wasn't tight enough thus sucking up air!

×Go S. Vettel #1 Infiniti Redbull! 4x WDC!!! Congrats on another flawless title× <GET BETTER SCHUMI>

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
The best way to prime a cannister filter is with a wet/dry vacuum. Quick and efficient. Like a Ninja.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
You need a new impeller. The part of the impeller that locks the blades to the spinning magnet has worn out. So when the impeller spin, the blade does not lock anymore.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Crackling sound is usually an indication that there is cavitation (google it) going on.
It could be due to any of the above suggestions, you need to do detective work to find out.
It is always good to have a spare impeller (and any other mechanical parts) handy for any pump in use.

Feeder Fish

Feeder Fish
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2012
USA
Thanks guys, bought a new impeller and I'm gonna try it out, I cleaned everything! Either way my fluval is really clean I keep my stuff very well maintained. Hopefully it's just that little hiccup. My buddy ran over and gave me a fluval hang on back which I dumped all my bio into for the time being. I'll post updates when the impeller comes in.

Feeder Fish

Feeder Fish
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2012
USA
So I got a new impeller, ceramic shaft, o-rings, rubber piece for shaft, useless... Problem still occurs. Called fluval and they said they send me am impeller cover which is probably worm out? How? I don't know.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Doesn't make sense to me. I could see the shaft wearing over time, but not the cover. I guess they would know their product better than anyone. At least you have a spare impeller now.

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Doesn't make sense to me. I could see the shaft wearing over time, but not the cover. I guess they would know their product better than anyone. At least you have a spare impeller now.
Recently had to replace the cover on my 406. Somehow, a leak has developed which resulted with decrease flow and a sound like air is in the system. I first used a teflon tape around the cover, this worked. But when I ordered a new impeller, it came with a cover...so I decided to use it.

Seems like this is a common issue with 406...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store