Sponge filter seems like it's doing nothing?

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
I have a sponge filter in both my 125s to try them out, they are the hydro V so their big. I've had them in for a few weeks and they just don't seem to suck any debris in them. I watch things float right past them all the time and it just seems like the odd particle gets caught on it but not anything to make a difference. Really frustrated, I'm pretty sure I have them set up right. Here is some pictures. One is my oscar tank which I shimage.jpgimage.jpgow debris that I left on purpose and just in case that debris is too big I have my other tank and as you can see its small stuff like left over blood worms.image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I have a similar issue with mine in my 45 gallon, but I also have two AC HOBs so I dont worry about it. Not sure Sponge filters are the best for MECHANICAL filtration but I believe they are awesome for biological with all the small porous surface area. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
They're mainly for bio filtration. They do accumulate gunk over time, and need to be rinsed out in old tank water.
If you want them to be used for mechanical, they'll need far more flow through them. I've used a powerhead, and a HOB intake tube. The powerhead worked better, though.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Sponge fitlers dont use hardly any floe so they arent going suck much up but they are likely working. Take one out and clean it and see if its dirty. If you want it to suck more up throw powerheads on there instead of the air pump

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
They are for processing ammonia and nitrite, not poop collection. You need to vacuum the tank for that. They are extremely efficient at what they are intended to do.

Source310

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Phoenix az
Leftover blood worms are way to big for a sponge filter.
They filter dust particles in the water if you will.

In my expierence they do make the water clearer.
If you want it to work quicker then connect a powerhead to it but you will have to clean it in a week since particles will accumilate quicker.

But no chance u will ever see a big piece of poo get sucked into the sponge filter

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2010
Colorado, USA
I have a sponge filter in both my 125s to try them out, they are the hydro V so their big. I've had them in for a few weeks and they just don't seem to suck any debris in them. I watch things float right past them all the time and it just seems like the odd particle gets caught on it but not anything to make a difference. Really frustrated, I'm pretty sure I have them set up right. Here is some pictures. One is my oscar tank which I show debris that I left on purpose and just in case that debris is too big I have my other tank and as you can see its small stuff like left over blood worms.

View attachment 1011607 View attachment 1011608 View attachment 1011607

Maybe it's because they're sideways. Try turning them right side up and see if that helps. :naughty:

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
Maybe it's because they're sideways. Try turning them right side up and see if that helps. :naughty:
haha funny guy! I was about to buy one today to add to my filtration. wasn't sure what to power it with tho. thinking a powerhead sounds like best option.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store