Which is the most aggressive and carnivorous crayfish ???

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
I had an electric blue crawfish. I was told several times that it would kill and eat any fish it could catch. Never did any harm to any of my fish though. B.B. escaped my tank a few weeks ago when I was re decorating my tank. Found her the next day crawling across my night stand. Unfortunately she only lived another 12-18 hours :( I loved B.B.the crawfish. I know this doesn't answer your question but I love crawfish and will be getting another one in the near future

Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 12 gilled babies

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
The short answer is I don't know,

But up in Oregon the Rusty Crayfish (Orconectes rusticus) seem to out compete the local crawdads, the signal crayfish (Pacifastacus leniusculus), himself not a wimpy specimen.

I dont know if red swamp crays, are the most agressive (how can that be definitively quantified? There are about 350 species in the US alone), mine would probably eat anything he could catch, however being a slow creature, he was constantly harassed by a Convict cichlid and Jack Dempsey, they eventually bit an eye off him. I would agree that they seem to squabble frequently and act agressively if you have a few of them in a tank together.

Also: In California the Red Swamp cray has beat a lot of species back toward the brink of threatened and/or endangered status, something to be considered. For Example: They maul the california newt and interfere with their breeding. (why other than out right territorial aggression? they probably can't eat anything that toxic.)

From my experience with crayfish, I would say size has the most to do with aggression. Larger species appear to be more aggressive. Based on that logic, see if you can get your hands on some of those monster crayfish from Australia or Tasmania and you probably have the most aggressive species.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Electric blue crays Procambrius Alleni(sp?) can be down right vicious I bred them for 2 years. They are defined as an opportunistic hunter by many and some say they actually kill for fun. I am with the later. My first female would hang upside down from plants and snatch fish as they swam by.

I was ill prepared the first time mine bred within a couple weeks of the hatch the rest of that tanks stock was decimated.

I finally got out of breeding them when one male in my main tank decided it was his tank and killed everything else within days. I didnt realize it was him till it was to late. I was checking water specs and doing massive changes cus I kept finding dead ones till it was just him found the last 2 missing crays stashed in the back of his cave for later.

Jnfergu2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Huntington, Indiana
From what I have read the Red Swamp Crayfish is suppossed to be the most aggressive. I have an electric blue though that destroys anything that goes in his tank.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store