BLACK SAND?

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I am wanting to put black sand substrate in a 135 gallon tank. not a lot, just enough to cover the bottom. how much will I need lbs. wise, and what is the cheapest/best option??? I read about 3M colorquartz (sounds like its discontinued tho) black diamond sand and so on. any suggestions? thanks all

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I'd just be careful if you're using a magnetic algae scrubber. Apparently it's slightly magnetic so if I'm scrubbing the tank and a fish kicks up some of it, it's attracted to the scrub and I see it shoot over. It gets annoying cuz I constantly have to pull it out and try to scrape the sand out.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I'd just be careful if you're using a magnetic algae scrubber. Apparently it's slightly magnetic so if I'm scrubbing the tank and a fish kicks up some of it, it's attracted to the scrub and I see it shoot over. It gets annoying cuz I constantly have to pull it out and try to scrape the sand out.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
no magnetic scrubbers. now I just need to figure out where to get some.

mikec707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
santa rosa
www.youtube.com
I've got 100 pounds of black sand in my 125. It gives me about 2" all over. Bought it off eBay for about $45 for 50lbs free shipping

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
fish wont get hurt by this stuff will they? even an eel that digs and burrows? there is 20/40 and finer 30/60 which do I get?

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
I use Eco Complete black substrate. It looks great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store