how often should i clean canisters?

jlieskovan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2012
San Francisco
Hey guys, i have 2 eheim canister filters on my 55g. how often should i clean out the canisters? should i alternate cleanings? thanks

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
definitely alternate/stagger cleanings.
i'm bad when it comes to cleaning out canisters on a schedule. i tend to just clean them once i notice a drop off in water flow.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
You should clean the mechanical media (sponges or fluff) every week or two. Don't mess with the bio media.

Maybe alternate one filter one week and the other the next.

The stuff collecting in your canister (uneaten food, poop, etc.) is the same stuff that most of us would regularly vacuum out of our substrate (vs. allow to rot and otherwise pollute the tank). Bio media caked with waste doesn't work as it should.

Pre-filters (on your intakes) could cut this down considerably (by keeping physical waste out of your filters) but would, of course, need to be cleaned regularly instead.

Matt

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Just like water changes, the more often you clean the filters the better, but definitely alternate. Clean mech filters with tap to get as much crud out as you can and rinse bio media with tank water that you are removing during water changes. One filter every week or other week is ideal. Should probably replace mech filters every month or 2 depending how caked up it is after thorough cleaning.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

I clean my Eheims when their flow rate drops, which is about once every 12 months.

They are bio filters. I allow them to do what they should: biomineralize waste products. Completely. Into inorganic degradation products.

Those who clean canisters more often could just as well use merely mechanical filters instead ;-)

HarleyK

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Howdy,

I clean my Eheims when their flow rate drops, which is about once every 12 months.

They are bio filters. I allow them to do what they should: biomineralize waste products. Completely. Into inorganic degradation products.

Those who clean canisters more often could just as well use merely mechanical filters instead ;-)

HarleyK

i read up on your old post when you were doing your eheim 2262 (i believe) conversion and testing how long it could go without cleaning and was truly interested in your findings.
i agree that with the right volume of media, water, bacteria, stock, plants and other factors, tanks can indeed be run for long periods of time with only top ups, and little cleaning.

my 60gal planted, i ran for a good 6 months with only top ups from evaporation, and likewise my sumped 300gal i could easily get 3-6 months without a water change or significant nitrates, only top ups.

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
Howdy,

HarleyK

Nice a whole year before cleaning. I do mine once every 6 months on my fx5. But I guess it depends on how much stock you have and also how often you do water changes. How long does the carbon usually last in a canister filter?

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
It depends on your stocking. It is always better to clean more often than not, I guess, but the question is whether it is necessary... since it is a pain. If you are not heavily stocked and do regular large water changes, you can get away with doing it very, very rarely, as others have advised. But if you are heavily stocked or feed heavily you can clog it up if you don't clean it out occasionally (i.e., it won't all get broken down into what you can remove via water changes).

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I cleaned an FX5 last month that was last cleaned last Sep or Oct. Really I should say I opened it and put it back. Since I have been dosing with Rid X my filters stay exceptionally clean. I did a 2262 about the same time with nearly the same results that had been running longer but had to change the quilt batting.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Once a month but I intend to start cleaning them more often as it's good to get that waste matter out of the canister,otherwise it becomes a nitrate haven.I've found that it's not enough to just open the drain valve on the FX5 since so much crap is still caught in the foam inserts.A good rinsing of everything is needed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store