Size of Tank Need for Tiger Shovel Catfish?

Abby Ru

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2013
Minnesota
I have found a tiger shovelnose cat on craigslist for sale but I only have a 55 gallon. The fish is not too big but I'm not sure what to plan for future upgrades. What does that species of catfish need for a tank size at full growth?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Yeah I had an RTC and needed to keep him in an indoor pool that was round 6 foot in diameter and he was still outgrowing that they really aren't a fish tank fish unless you have a massive tank like the one suggested above I would rather look for an indoor pond option

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, how big is the fish now? They'll easily get 18" of more in their first year. Also be aware that they WILL eat gravel so sand is the best substrate, that or nothing. There was a recent thread where some guy's TSN ate several pieces of gravel and got very sick from it. And like all catfish: any fish they think they can fit in their mouth will be or will be attempted to be eaten.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I had one for about 3 1/2 years and it was 34 inches when I sold it.
I also kept it in a pool.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Abby Ru

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2013
Minnesota
For such a cool looking catfish, these things are BEASTS!! I had no idea. Totally cool but I'm going to have to re-think my attack for getting a tank that's bigger

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store