Bear with me..a couple of questions

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
More than a decade since i have had salt water tanks.

I know it is not rocket science, and that, some exceptions considered, the basics are not very different from fresh water.

1) IF the only thing new is the water and the sand, WITH the sand having been seeded with an ample quantity of " live in tank, sand " and the tank filled with so called " mature live rock" far above the pound per gallon rule of thumb, and said live rock took no more than 30 minutes from collection to my tank, is the tank apt for fish ( a small one ) or will it cycle, regardless?
I am aware that the merits of live rock are not in the nitryfying bacteria they bring or in the forms of life they once had in the ocean and no longer have nor will ever have again.

2) when i had salt, salinity was 1024/1026. Now i see that a lot of people who keep only fish work with significantly lower salinities, in the range of 1017/1018.

What say you about all of this, in relation to FOWLR tank?

Thanks

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
For the live rock/sand additions, you will still most likely see a small spike in ammonia again as the bacteria colony establishes itself. It will be faster and much less of a spike compared to starting a system brand new without the help of established rock/sand.

Lower salinity is more of a money saving method on FOWLR tanks. Less salt mix = less expense. It also helps prevent some of the more well known parasites from over taking the system. I run my display tanks about 1.021. Generally speaking, when I deal with private tanks, I suggest a 1.023 (30ppt) range for the salt level. Right now, the ocean just off of South FL is in the 1.027/1.028 range.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Thanks Matt!

So some sort of ammo spike is to be expected, anyway.

Is it true that the nitrite stage in sw nitrogen cycle is not half as problematic for fish as in fw?

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Lower salinity is more of a money saving method on FOWLR tanks. Less salt mix = less expense. It also helps prevent some of the more well known parasites from over taking the system. I run my display tanks about 1.021. Generally speaking, when I deal with private tanks, I suggest a 1.023 (30ppt) range for the salt level. Right now, the ocean just off of South FL is in the 1.027/1.028 range.
Explanation I was given is that it is better for the prevention of some diseases, namely Crypto, which only appears from 1.019...

Am just stating what i heard here abouts...

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
yup tank will cycle as die off occurs when lr is moved, as for salinity and fish I've always been under the impression it was easier for their homeostasis with lower salinity readings. The higher the salinity count the higher everything else is ie, calcium, mag, alk, iodine, heavey metals, etc.........

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store