Did I Just Break An HOB?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Well I picked two free tanks last week, one of which came with a filter. The filter is a Marineland Penguin 200 hang on back rated for up to 55 gallons. Well lately I've been dealing with sponge filters a LOT and completely forgot that you can't get power filters wet :shakehead: . The filter was all crusty so I washed every part in my sink, and sadly I think I may have got water into the motor housing. I didn't soak it I just sprayed it all down with my faucet but I have no idea how much water got into the little hole. Right now it's sitting on my kitchen counter so it can dry and hopefully the water will come out of the motor. Should I even try to turn it on or will I electrocute myself or blow it up or something insane like that or should I just trash the thing?image.jpg

image.jpg

AROS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2013
Derry, NH
I've done the same thing when I cleaned some HOB's and nothing happened. I even plugged some in right away and no probs. you should be fine but there is always a chance that it will burn out or not work.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fobrinkle

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Michigan
X2 should be fine

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
x3 plug it in and spin the impeller with the tip of a pencil , my guess is it will fire up....:popcorn:

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
It will be fine.

TRSickler

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Carolina
Yea i pretty much did the same thing earlier but with the hose outside, didn't even think about the motor housing lol. But plugged it right in and works just fine. Just make sure your hands and the prongs are dry.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
most of the hob motors are generally sealed minus the input for the impeller. you could probably immerse the entire motor section with impeller in it into water and run it, it's just not advised as current is running through it and the manufacturer posts the warning to cover their butts.

i don't see there being a problem with it from that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store