Starry night cichlid?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are a number of species (described and non-described) in the Madagascan genus Paratilapia. I have an aquarium strain, and P species "andapa" and P sp small spot.
Any are very personable, beautiful, cichlids which get large, and require some room.
I keep them in separate tanks, to avoid in breeding
A 6ft tank would be minimum for a group of adults, as they can be hard on each other in small tanks.
andapa

aquarium strain

male small spot

female small spot

In a 6 ft tank
click on pick
None of mine are full grwon.
As they are a social species, so I feel starting with a group of 5 or 6 works well, albeit expecting an alpha male may be brutal with other males being common, especially in anything smaller than a large footprint tank.

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
Would just 1 be ok in a 55? My brother is looking for a larger cichlid for his 55. He only wants 1 large cichlid that isn't very common. I love that he's going the same direction I did. I have just 1 Festae in my aquarium. I prefer 1 quality, uncommon fish over several smaller fish. I like having just 1-2 so they're more like personal pets than just an ambiance.

He's looking for a large, somewhat aggressive, but personable cichlid with blue being the main color. He likes green too but wants some vivid color. He has it pictured in his head and is finally being picky about his fish lol. He finally realized Petsmart and petco SUCK, like I've been telling him all along lol

He can only have a 55 for now because he's on the second floor but will be upgrading to a 75+ when he gets on first floor in about 2years +/-

I have showed him P.talapia (Lg spot), green terror, Texas cichlid, Frontosa (he loves the look but wants something not as docile), Midas and bright red Flowerhorn. So far her likes P.talapia, FH, and Midas best but wishes FH and Midas were blue LMBO.

Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 12 gilled babies

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I'd think 1 in a 55 might work for a long time, and if started small, they can become very owner responsive, as you can see from my video above.
They are generally not fish eaters, so feeder fish are not a good idea, but they are insectivores, so any of those and worms are a good adjunct to a generally nutritious pellet.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I have a pair that I got a couple weeks ago. I suspect that they may be male and female, but they need to grow a bit more. Mine are sp. Small Spot from Rapps.

As stated above, they are very personable fish. Mine feed vigorously from the surface on anything that floats. They did squabble a bit at first, but when I added a school of six scats things settled down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
The blues (flowerhorns) are available from a fish farm that I deal with in MIAMI. Are you in the south?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store