Any tips on how to survive a power outtage for 12 hrs?

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Today I got a noticed that my power will be out from 8am - 8pm. I got a heavily stock 150g, ultra light stock 265g, 40g planted with dithers, and 40g growout. Beside renting a generator, what other options do I have? Renting a generator is $150 a day and such a hassle to haul back after I am done. I was thinking of using battery air pumps with an air stone. Would one pump per tank be sufficient?

Khapham_1997

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
My house!!!!!
I had a power outrage couple weeks ago. From midnight to 3pm @@. My tank was super cold. 72F. But all my fish were doing fine :). I guess a battery air pump with air stone or sponge filter would be okay! But I would go more than one in the 150 :D. Good luck sir!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
one time, i actually used an emergency roadside kit, that was battery, jumpers, and a small air compressor all in one. just hooked the compressor up to some airlines and let it run.

hulk181

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2012
Cerritos CA
I think you should be fine with battery powered air pumps for 12 hours. I think you live in SoCal right? Tomorrow (Tuesday) is going to be super hot over 100 degrees. So there won't be a temp crash in your tank. I think the bio media in your filters would be fine for 12 hours as long as they're kept in water. But you can add an air pump to your bio media if you're worried about that. Your fish should be fine with just some circulation in each tank and a bp air pump in each tank should do the trick.

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Place bio media in the tank, use battery powered air pumps and add warm water as often as possible.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy

Canister filters will not survive for 11 h. A sump will, but clean it beforehand. Sponge filters will be fine. HUBs should be cleaned as well.

Depending how much $$$ you have in fish, buying (not renting) a small generator might be a worth-while investment. They run a couple hundred bucks and you don't have to haul it back...

Good luck

HarleyK

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
hello; I had a three/four day outage a few years back. I did not use any extra pumps or generators and the fish were fine with no loss. The key was a lightly stocked tank.

Along with the other suggestions, do not feed the day before and the day of the outage. this should reduce some of the potential bacterial activity associated with decay of excess food. the fish will scour the tank as well.

The main issue hould be oxygen exchange in such a short time. Absent a battery air pump, the surface of the water can be aggitated by hand.

Be careful of restarting a filter system that has been off for a time. There have been posts of the decay products from such filters dumping a toxic load into a tank after being turned on without a cleaning. As previously stated put the filter media in the tank or in a bucket of tank water with an air bubbler. Twelve hours is likely not long enough for this to be a big issue, but you can at least do something about it for insurance.

Good luck

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Air pumps sound good. I normally do a water change when this happens as water will still work. Having fresh water never hurts just the temp issue my room will hold heat for a few days so I don't have to worry but being in ca you should be fine also.

A gen is great but I understand where your coming from in that regard.

Best of luck !

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Go get some 12 volt live well water and air pumps. Extend the wiring hook to car in driveway or just bring car bat inside and run a small battery charger.

OR buy an DC to AC inverter. Can get pretty large ones fairly cheap. I opted this route vs a generator.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store