Silicone- weird curing

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Folks,
Redoing the frosted/milky seals on my old 100Gal long&tall, including setting a few reinforcing triangles along the bottom, corners and top braces (I had the glass kicking around). I cleaned it last week (thanks for the thread) and did the messy work on Saturday (3days ago). It wasn't raining. Temp probably 30C, maybe 60-80% humidity as we live near the sea.

Used a single big tube of silicone, and it seems to have cured differently over different parts of the tank: some spots it's done fine: firm, stuck etc, and other spots it's still sort of mushy and smears when I rub it with my thumb. Still half a tube left (expensive stuff) and I've got another 4 or 5 triangles to put in.

Advice?
a) Wait another few days and see again? b) Rip it all out and start again with a fresh tube from a new shop? That'd be a nightmare, as the new triangle braces would need to come out too, which would likely require a complete breakdown. c) Or do I just let it stay, clean it up and chance it? It's on the balcony, so if it was to give up it'd be a horror, but would drain into the garden... assuming it's not catastrophic, which would put an 800Lb water-anvil dropping 4m down and onto my landlord's $12K generator.

A

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I know that someone said he had a tube past the expiration date and it had issues with curing even in a week. If it's not that, I'd wait for an expert to chime in.

dlp40

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2007
hopewell,va
I just had the same issue with the mushy cure on my 125. All it is, is the silicone is thicker in some spots and It takes longer to cure. I did 1/2" silicone seals on the tank and it took 2 full days to cure. then another 2 days for the smell to go away.
I think you should just give it time to cure out more and If the spots are still mushy, reseal. If they harden like the rest of the seal then it's time to fill it up.

good luck

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Thanks Dip.
Unfortunately it's the thick parts that seem to be curing alright (so far as I can tell) and the thin parts (including smears & screw-ups) that seem to be "taking their time". The cure seems to be continuing very very very slowly, and in some spots not at all. This might be a good think vis-a-vis cleanup, but it's not doing anything for my faith.
I wonder if I can paint the exposed bits with acetone or vinegar or some other awefulness to re-kick-start curing?
A

Pipe layer

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2013
North jersey
Are you allowed to mention the brand you used (not sure if that is against forum rules)?

Definitely do not paint with acetone or vinegar! This will severely affect curing.

The temp and high humidity should have allowed for a faster cure. Was there any moisture at all still on the glass before you applied the sealant?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store