Fx5 running new lines

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
I have a tank that has 8 inch ring around the top, its acrylic. How would one run the new lines? This is a temporary setup tell 240 gal is finished. Also can the fx5 run on flat ground? The tank is setting on the ground.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
If it's temp setup just drape the lines over the top unless your willing to drill the top to run the lines. Yes it will run fine on the floor, in fact you'll have greater flow because there will be less head loss.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
You don't have head loss on a canister. They are running a siphon to fill, which also assists the return.

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
So its fine? Just prim the lines and all?

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
Hooked up the fx5 with the old lines. I opened up the half i take and put it right at the bottom of the tank. It feels like less flow.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Makes sense you feel less flow, as rodger stated the siphon effect helps draw water as when you suck on the end of a gravel cleaner which lets the water exit the tubing. If the tanks on the floor then thats straight flow from the pump. Wont hurt the pump one bit as its a centrifugal magnet power pump so its fine.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
It could be you still have air in the hose. Take a shop vac and put on exhaust side of cannister. I always prime my cannisters that way. Done in seconds with no swallowing water.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
It could be you still have air in the hose. Take a shop vac and put on exhaust side of cannister. I always prime my cannisters that way. Done in seconds with no swallowing water.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Oh that's a good idea. Isn't the fx5 auto prime or so thing. All you have to do is fill the container?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store