Attempted arowana eye surgery

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Arowana was basically blind in the eye because it was pushed down so badly. Cut the tissue above the eye and it started pouring out pure fat. The bottom of the eye is still being held down by tissue below the eye, but I want to wait and see I that will fix itself by forcing it to look up. It's a work in progress, but it definitely is a lot better!image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgView attachment 1012012image.jpg

Is it alright to use the extra backgrounds I have to stop him from looking out? Or should I use a solid black or something else like a blanket? I'm going to try feed him crickets and other floating foods from now on as well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I commend you on what you have done. I wish you success. Looking up won't fix or prevent it. Do you think the fat was from looking down? Don't you think all of the other aro species look down?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
I would turn off the blue moon lights. They seem to make fish jittery. I think the natural light from a window or just ambient light from the room is more than enough while it heals. If I was a fish I would be annoyed by a constant blue light...probably not something they see in nature. Just cause it's called a moon light doesn't mean it lights like the moon. But good luck on his recovery...hope his eye heals up.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
I commend you on what you have done. I wish you success. Looking up won't fix or prevent it. Do you think the fat was from looking down? Don't you think all of the other aro species look down?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
The idea isn't that looking down caused it's eye to droop. It's that his eye has been pushed down and the tissue below his eye is holding his eye from returning to normal. If he keeps trying to look up, it might stretch that tissue and his eye will slowly nor back into place. If he just keeps looking straight out of the tank, his eye will most likely remain in the same spot unless I cut out the tissue below the eye as well, which would have been much more risky to cut out. Regardless of what caused it, ie impact, looking down, water conditions, diet etc, the fat buildup is now gone and the pressure pushing his eye down is hopefully gone with it.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
You may be right about the moon light. I was trying to give it some form of light, but maybe I will just open up the curtains instead

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Cut out the harder fat tissue this time and it seems to be working much better. Will post recovery pics in a few more days.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Wow...that's a crazy endeavor you've taken on. Good luck and keep us posted

Sent while on the go...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store