Bracing a bowing tank?

Sabidojr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Hi,

The center support snapped on one of my 55s and the front panel bows a bit. Doesn't look like its doing it by much since the outer black plastic is still intact but anoying nontheless.

Is there a popular fix for this situation? I was thinking just bringing the center support back together by drilling a hole on each piece and bolting down a piece of metal across.

By center support I am refering to the black plastic that goes front to back and separates where the 2 glass tops would go.

Phixer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
CO & CA
Lower your water level. Bowing happens because the tank was improperly designed and used material too thin when constructed. A lot of MFGs do this now days to save a buck. The only real solution to prevent it other than lowering the water level (hyd press) would be to get rid of it and start with a tank of thicker material.

Phixer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
CO & CA
You could, but a Band-aid wont change the thickness of the material or compensate for the hydrostatic pressure exerted when filled to the top. It's still going to bulge outward in the center because it's too thin in the same manner that the bag fish come in. The plastic bag is tied at the top but still bulges because of the thickness of the material.

More pressure needs to be put on MFGs to build quality products. It dosen't cost much more to do it right either when considering the markup, all the more reason to DIY I suppose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store