New Alligator gar diet?

jwowoski

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New York
What should a feed my new true alligator gar to be able to beef up fast? He's only 6 inches? Should I try to get him on pellets yet? Or just try feeding him feeders til he gets bigger?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Energy

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Tropical Minnesota
Shrimp, tilapia, limit the feeders-no nutritional content, earthworms, pellets- both excellent for bulk and size.

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
Starve him until he eats pellets (hikari sticks) I had to starve my Florida gar for 3 weeks until he took pellets.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

catman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2008
Indiana
Tilapia can be bought at most stores like kroger or walmart or generally where you buy shrimp. Shouldn't be hard to wean him off feeders if that's what he is used to. Mine took to pellets and shrimp and tilapia in like three or four days. The best way to feed feeders though is to keep them in a clean tank and feed them some good flakes or pellets before feeding to the gar to help them be more nutritional. Don't be afraid to starve him to wean though because he will eat when he gets hungry enough. Just my two cents.

tigercat

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2012
winnsboro
Yes you should have no problems getting him to eat pellets or other foods. Those guys eat just about anything. With time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store