Rays legal in california

danster9000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
laguna
hello everyone, i was thinking its pretty ridiculous how strict california is about exotic species and FW rays. we miss out on all the hybrids and badass rays because they think "our waters are tropical" its ridiculous is there anyway to petition and try to legalize rays in cali or is there not a chance at all? will this law ever change?

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
No hope.... Move to a ray friendly state

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
You can petition all you want but there's like a 99% chance it won't work. The next best thing you can do is try and get a permit for educational programs. 1 of my old neighbors got 1 to keep hot snakes, venomous, and every few months, he would rent a booth at reptile shows and bring the snakes and just educate people about them. It wasn't an easy task though.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Unfortunately, there are a handful of Potamotrygon species inhabiting temperate zone waters in S. America making them able to survive in temperate zones in the US such as the areas between southern CA through the Gulf states and on through Florida.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Yes there is. Right below the official petition to legalize Asian aros on the website Healthcare.gov.

danster9000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
laguna
and what about species outside of the Potamotrygon genus? my buddy is a F&G ranger and we where argueing about if all species of FW rays are illegal in cali. are those legal like the freshwater whiptails? are any species legal in california if so what species and do you know anyone who can import them?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
and what about species outside of the Potamotrygon genus? my buddy is a F&G ranger and we where argueing about if all species of FW rays are illegal in cali. are those legal like the freshwater whiptails? are any species legal in california if so what species and do you know anyone who can import them?
The whiptail is legal and isn't considered fw and it shouldn't be kept in fw long term. All the actual fw rays are illegal but all sw rays are legal

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

danster9000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
laguna
so aside from Potamotrygon and Himantura Chaophraya theres no other freshwater species that can stay longterm in freshwater but are legal in cali?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
There is a population of Atlantic rays (Dasyatis sabina) that are permanent residents of the St John River's fresh alkaline waters. However, the issue becomes; ...do you trust a supplier who tells you the ray you're interested in is a true FW ray or a temporarily adapted SW ray?

IMO, if it comes down to keeping a plain looking ATL ray, I'd rather go full salt and keep some of the better looking SW rays.

danster9000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
laguna
There is a population of Atlantic rays (Dasyatis sabina) that are permanent residents of the St John River's fresh alkaline waters. However, the issue becomes; ...do you trust a supplier who tells you the ray you're interested in is a true FW ray or a temporarily adapted SW ray?

IMO, if it comes down to keeping a plain looking ATL ray, I'd rather go full salt and keep some of the better looking SW rays.
Sabina is a ***** in captivity excuse my French... They piss like no Tomorrow... I'm so frustrated that this thing all OC MFK need to unite and riot outside the federal building lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store