Gravel or Sand for my 150.....

YukonBlu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2013
United States
I have always used Gravel which i like until it gets on your algae pad and you scratch your tank with it
But anyway, i just got my new 150 and am looking into getting sand and need some advice. I like the way both sand and gravel look, maybe sand just a tad more. But anyway listed will be whats in the tank... your thought would be great.

no plants
1 Oscar
2 Jack Dempseys
1 Green Terror
1 jaguar cichlid
1 Pleco

So what do you think and why??

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Pool filter sand, it's cheap about $5-10 for 50 lbs and it's heavier then play sand so it won't be stirred up as much and easy to clean just a couple rinses in a 5 gallon bucket and it's washed

I always start with gravel from Home Depot it's cheap and looks good but I always go back to sand as I like the look better

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kdblove_99

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
Frederick CO
I like sand. I use black diamond from tractor supply. It was $8 for a 50th bag. I got the 20/40 medium coarse. I like it a lot.

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I Would do about 1/2 inch(just enough to cover bottom) PEA GRAVEL from home depot...cheap & very easy to clean at that depth...maintenance is a breeze :)

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
There are fish that do much better with sand (sand sifters, many that swim along the bottom, ones that hide in the substrate), but the ones you listed aren't those. It's preference, and although I once used pea gravel and liked it, I am more prone to sand now.

There are pros and cons for both. If sand was not an option for me, I'd have no problem using gravel.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
X2 for PFS.another choice is quickcrete all purpose sand.has larger grain similar to PFS.I usually throw a few cups of smaller gravel on top of any sand I use, changes the look

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
What type of algae ? I had the problem of algae growing on my sand when I had my puffer, it looked like grass and covered 90% of my tank floor I picked it out by hand vacuumed some up then went a week with no lights it went away but would come back again and again so now when my tank gets stocked I'm raising my lights up and reducing the amount of time my lights are on to hope it doesn't grow back it's a pain in the tail fin

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
What type of algae ? I had the problem of algae growing on my sand when I had my puffer, it looked like grass and covered 90% of my tank floor I picked it out by hand vacuumed some up then went a week with no lights it went away but would come back again and again so now when my tank gets stocked I'm raising my lights up and reducing the amount of time my lights are on to hope it doesn't grow back it's a pain in the tail fin

Obviously you don't, but I'm actually rather fond of this green, grassy carpet look on the tank floor.

To the OP, I also preffered the look of sand or a mixture of sand(70%)/gravel(30%). I just personally find the look of stand alone gravel artificial and cheesy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store