Sump size for tanks.

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
I made a small sump for my 240g around two years ago.. Now im looking at i think its to small should be around 40g.. Should it be okay for a 240g? I know bigger is better but i thought i read yrs ago their is a minimum size limit. The sump hasn't been used its just wasting space.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
It really depends on how much the water rises in the sump when the pump it off. On my 225 with 75g sump the water level in the sump rises 3" when I unplug the pump or there is a power outage, if I had a 40g sump of same design it would rise around 6". I also need a few more inches incase the check valve fails.

If your sump is a wet/dry type you'll have less water in the sump so you will be able to handle more drainage than a wet sump.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
It really depends on how much the water rises in the sump when the pump it off. On my 225 with 75g sump the water level in the sump rises 3" when I unplug the pump or there is a power outage, if I had a 40g sump of same design it would rise around 6". I also need a few more inches incase the check valve fails.

If your sump is a wet/dry type you'll have less water in the sump so you will be able to handle more drainage than a wet sump.

+1 typically bigger is better for overall water volume. But as long as it doesn't overflow with a power outage and it holds enough media it will work. I also have a 75g sump on my 225, and I run both siphon breaks and check valves so I keep my sump 75-80% full

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
Maybe i should try it again. I never liked the diy pvc overflow or the ones made up from other parts... I never check where the water line stops

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store