Fish room

jwowoski

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New York
Hello,
I'm thinking about setting up a fish room in my basement. I need some ideas and tips please. I already have a 135 gallon running with a 55 and 30 and 10 downstairs but I have to break down the tanks and move into another room down there. I'm thinking about getting another 135 gallon (which is available right now) and stack them on too of eachother and have a fish tank wall with smaller tanks like 75's 55's and so on, on one wall and then the other wall get a huge tank around 200 plus. That's just a rough thought and sketch of the plan.
What kind of filtration?
Should I do one whole filtration setup or individual?
That's the big question.... What filtration should I use?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
There's too many options to say you need to decide what you want and what your willing to spend. How do you want to do water changes ? Are you confident with a central system.... Disease can be an issue but with proper qt and uv it can be fine. What type of sound level are you happy with. There is not one option that fits all just like buying a car we all have different requirements and desires .

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I'd be very interested in hearing what others say about a single sump for multiple tanks. My LFS does it for their salt water displays, they say it's pretty much the only way to do it in their store. How many tanks does it take for this to make sense? What's the best way to control return flow to different size tanks? Is plumbing per tank that much cheaper than canister filters on small tanks (75 Gal and below)?

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Sure a lot of LFS do it but disease is a huge issue for many also, normally why QT is super important imo. When I worked @ the LFS we got velvet once and that was it for 20 tanks as they all ran off the same sump, really opened my eyes but velvet is a real meanie lol.

2 ways to control flow, A - use a ball valve or something like, B - have a pump per each size tank as such... meaning if you have 2 larger tanks have 1 high GPH pump for them then use another pump for smaller tanks etc..

I prefer A but I know a few more like B my eyes its more power but if you have lines going in many different ways on a large scale of tanks it can be more simple and controllable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store