Predator for 90 gallon planted?

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
I have a well planted 90 gallon tank and I've grown tired of the small community fish I have in it! Can anyone recommend predatory fish that won't destroy my plants and will live their life happily in a tank this size? A lone fish would be fine too, I'm not interested in an Oscar either.. Something interesting! I'm in the UK so would have to be available here :)

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Check out some of the Serrasalmus sp.piranhas.
+1 piranhas and plants work great. Might even be able to get away with tankmates if you are patient and arent afraid of losses. Other than that, most fish other than cichlids will thrive in a planted tank. Wolf fish, snakeheads, and pike cichlids are a few examples of other fish commonly found in planted tanks

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Cichlids and plants becomes a game of selecting what plants to grow and what cichlids to put in. I've been doing it though, you just generally gotta stick to cichlids that are a little more calm and stay around 6" or less. Link to my tank is in my sig, you can see my results there.

For a planted 90 though, south american brown ghost knife seems cool, or leopard ctnepoma, larger gourami like the snakeskin, bichirs of course are awesome, probably some characins that are predatory that are small enough to be in a 90 for life. Peacock eel might be something worth looking into, especially if your plants are things like anubias and java fern or have really strong roots and won't get uprooted easily.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Maybe its because I cant have em here but id look into some colorful channa as my first choice. They thrive in planted tanks, wont mess with your plants, decent size and can be gorgeous colored

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store