Is it the water?

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
Well I was not going to share this but if there is something I can do I will if not too late. Last week I was doing a water change of 35 or 40 percent and next day all rays breathing really hard for days one ray still is I am surprised she is still alive. Water test good for all the basic test ammonia, nitrite ect. I have another tank with captive pups doing just fine water seems to be testing the same. I know my hardness is high but always have been and my ph from tap is 7 but my tank is always low like 5.8. only thing I changed was I added some new bio media by marine pure that day but I have been checking water and this has not interrupted my water quality. There has been a lot of different things happen in a sort time to this tank. I acquired a new ray that I could not quarantine but this ray has been in captivity for years. Since I got here some how I lost cycle to the tank or the tank could not handle bio load so there was a ammonia spike for prob 3 weeks all rays ate the whole time ect. I know they were not happy but there was nothing I knew what to do and was surprised it was such a long recovery. I did placed a fluval fx 5 that was running on another tank. Next thing to happen was new ray had something on her above her eye I thought anchor worm but it fell off and healed so I don't have a clue. Ok so back to the current problem new rays will not eat still breaths hard other rays still seem stress but are not breathing hard anymore and are eating very little. Here is the thing that's is killing me is I got the tank back in order with the ammonia prob and what ever was on the ray fell off and cleared up meanwhile all rays were eating infact the new ray ate like 15 shrimp out of my hand the day before this current prob. I am sure I left out a lot of imfo but it is hard to put everything on a thread. I feel really bad that this is happening the worst is knowing that the new ray is showing no signs of recovery and not eating at all witch to me means most likely her kidneys are shutting down.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Don't give up!!

Start with the water. I know it's work but do 20ish percent water changes daily. I would bet your water change and filtration needs work by what i read.

But in case in wrong state your water change schedule. Tank size. Filtration. Fish and ray load (how many) this will help us understand your system better and see the weak points.

Next you need to figure out if something really was on your ray or not and think about treating for it. You were kinda vague on what it really was or looked like or what.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
I have been doing 20 percent every other day since this problem started with the heavy breathing.There is 4 rays all over 12" in a 480.100 gal sump with bio balls and now 3 8x4" marine pure blocks and 3 fx5 filter with bio media in trays witch have been running for years. Like I said no ammonia or anything in tank this tank has been running for some time.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
If your tap PH is 7 your tank PH should be 7. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that is what you should aim for, rays will not like that fluctuation. I would add some crushed coral to get your ph up to where it is when you change water. Someone correct me if I am giving the wrong advice, but the heavy breathing and some other things you mention may be indicative of a ph crash, a lot has been going on with your tank so that could be likely, unless it really sits at 5.8 ALL the time, though I don't think it should.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
X2. pH fluctuations are bad. 7.0 to 5.8 is a big change for any fish

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
Ph is 7 from tap and 5.8 is what tank is and has been like this for long time it seems to always stay low in tank I assume do to the amount of waste and ammonia produced by the rays

john C

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
ohio
Let me rephrase this ph is not something I check often but I checked since this problem and I know it has been low in the past were there were no signs of problems, so I can see ammonia make ph go down but if there is none now then it should 7 like the tap?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Sorry to hear this news John.

I'm with the others in belief that 5.8 is too low. Can you add some Aragonite slowly to bring the PH up? This should make it more stable.

How often do you clean the bio???

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Ph is 7 from tap and 5.8 is what tank is and has been like this for long time it seems to always stay low in tank I assume do to the amount of waste and ammonia produced by the rays

You said in your first post that the rays had this problem since w.c
Maybe pH went up too fast for rays gills.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store