Clean Up crew for New 300 Gallon Aquarium

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
My New 300 gallon aquarium will be coming tomorow (in really crappy weather :/), and i will be adding my 2 Motoro Pair (still Juvies), 3 Arowanas, 2 Clown Knives, 1 Peacock Bass (no idea which kind), african arowana and an ID Shark. These will all be taken from my 125 as my 125 is extremely overstocked... and in the future perhaps a 500 gallon+... What is a good "clean Up" fish i can or should add into the group? I heard silver dollars are good. Are they really? please give some suggestions! :) and one that wont be eaten.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I've heard tinfoil barbs are great cleaners....and they're cheap!

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I think if you see a lot of pieces when they feed, then the small stuff would be eaten by the crew.I have SD very fast and tough.I always see large tinfoils traded in at the LFS...huge.other large barbs would work, T-barbs or lemon barbs

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
it would be a mess in that tank without cleaners, just with the motoros alone. you'd either benefit from cleaner fish or alot of current stirring up the bottom to send the poop to your filtration.
ID sharks make a mess too. mine is 18+" and makes a mess alongside my oscar.
no experience with the aros and my bgk is only sitting at 8" or so, so not a ton to share there either.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
A Giraffe cat would work well they are like running a vacuum 24-7 and would be nice in your 500 when it gets big,they get to be 24 inches or better and will not bother any of your fish very peaceful most the ones I see are about 5 to 6 inches unless you find one that is grown out.

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
I've heard tinfoil barbs are great cleaners....and they're cheap!
I have heard tin foils will eat anything including feces :confused: yuck! I wouldn't mind having a few myself as a clean up crew.

I have a CL that I would like to put with my Festae to clean up her scraps but I'm afraid it may get attacked by Lucy (my Festae)

Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 12 gilled babies

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
Tin foils are good, except you need bigger ones than pet stores usually stock other wise they won't survive with your stock.

Personally I would just get a couple of medium sized catfish like the bigger synodontus catfish; your upper and middle water columns are occupied already.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store