Arowanas in the Vegas Heat

CaptainJackSparrow

Feeder Fish
May 17, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Hi Everyone,

I have a question about arowanas and heat tolerance. My name’s Vince, I’ll be a UNLV student come fall, and I’ve kept more than a few fish in my lifetime, but I’ve run into a little pinch with my less-than- enthusiastic father regarding aquarium placement. A little while ago I bought a 75 gallon tank (and all the gear to boot) to keep a couple of tiger oscars; they did great, but I had to sell them before last January’s move. Now that we live in Vegas, the setup’s going unused and it’s driving me crazy.

With a free tank, I’d like to finally invest in my dream fish – the arowana! Pop’s cool with it, because he knows he never has to take care of these things when they invade the house - ask me about the ducks I brought home one day XD – but under one condition: the tank be set up outside.

Now for those of you who’ve been to Vegas, you know summer days can peak at 120 degrees Fahrenheit in the sun and under 100 in the shade. We have a roofed porch that would completely block off any direct sunlight from hitting the tank, and a high-powered aerator would keep the water churning and therefore relatively cool. In the winter months and on cold nights a heater would keep the water around 80.

I watch my fish like a hawk, and am attentive to their needs and behavior, so if something was going awry I could fix it within a day, but under those circumstances, would a silver arowana be alright? Also, I’d like to mention that I won’t be keeping him in my 75 forever, I know they get huge, but I’m good friends with a lfs keeper who has a monster Amazon tank and would be happy to take him off my hands (we discussed it) in due time.

Anyhow, I appreciate your input. Thanks :)

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Have you looked into chillers?

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
I live in Vegas and my true advice to you is don't do it. It may make it and be ok but we both know how hot it gets here and its really pushing it. If you can't keep the fish in the correct way don't do it at all. Don't compromise the fishes well being just because u really want to keep one under any circumstances. So my humble opinion is ask ur pops if u can keep it inside if not, maybe you could keep one in a better environment in the future.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
why dont you do a diy chiller with a mini fridge and about 50-75 feet of hose? It'll be hard to get it calibrated but once it is you just saved at lest 500 bucks.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
A 75 gallon tank is way too small for any arowana.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
A 75 gallon tank is way too small for any arowana.
True. Overlooked this is his tank. 75 would be a (very) temporary growout

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
why dont you do a diy chiller with a mini fridge and about 50-75 feet of hose? It'll be hard to get it calibrated but once it is you just saved at lest 500 bucks.
Interested in this. Any threads you'd recommend?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store