Window Height

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
A little place called C At Hell
Hello,

I'm starting to plan and prep for a 8' x 4' x 3' plywood tank in my garage.

I've seen conversations about the height of the viewing window being able to adjust the thickness of the glass, and I wanted to know if anyone has experience with bringing the window up from the bottom of the tank, to lower the thickness of the glass?

My plan is to have a 1' span between the bottom of the tank, to the bottom of the viewing window and I was wondering if this would allow me to use glass thickness that would be suited for a 2' tall tank? or if I would need to still use thickness of a 3' tall piece of glass to hold the water pressure in check?

Thanks in advance

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Nobody?

The articles I was reading a while back kinda died off, and no one had an answer to this but the logic should work behind this theory. If the glass was raised to only hold back the top 2' of water, then the thickness of the glass would only need to be 1/2" instead of 3/4".

Can anybody confirm or deny this working?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Cant tell from experience but in my mind and iirc ive read about people doing this and it working. Added benefit if you ever have a leak around the glass you will still have a foot of water for your fish

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Yeah, you got it right. Its only the window depth that you need to be concerned about regarding thickness. I did the exact same thing on my build, leaving a foot below the window for the same reason.

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Excellent, thank you both for the replies...There's a huge difference in price between the two thickness' of glass and any chance at saving money on this build is a plus.

spiff44 - Is the build you're talking about the one in your signature?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store